Decompression surgery

Good morning, I just wanted to share with everyone that I have been scheduled for decompression surgery the week of the 4th of July which is rather quick I feel considering I was just diagnosed with Chiari on May 21st. I have not gotten an exact date of surgery as of yet I was seen by the neurosurgeon on this past Thursday June 13th and went straight from my appointment to my uncles funeral so I had a very trying day. My symptoms progressed rather quickly which is the reason surgery has already been discussed. I had been having these issues since March of 2012 but was never made aware that I even had Chiari until May 21st of this year. From the moment I was told I went down hill rapidly. My vision receiving the blunt of the effects. I had days where I could not see at all, my speech started becoming affected, along with my memory and the fact that I could not bend down or look down without the feeling of passing out. I could not see to read anything with my head tilted forward everything that was placed before me had to be at eye level. The pressure in my head became to hard for me to bare. With all that said I would like to ask of anyone that has had decompression surgery what should I expect. How long will I be down before I am back to normal and back at work. What should of avoid doing.

It is different for everyone. My surgeon initially said 4 weeks but I went back after 3. People recover at various rates depending on the types of symptoms they have before and after surgery. My surgery was on Wednesday and I was discharged on Saturday. It was supposed to be on Friday but I had a lumbar drain for 2 days.

Everyone’s experience is different but I, also had my surgery on Wednesday. I went into the OR @ 7:30am for prepping. The anesthesiologist started a conversation with me and I don’t think we ever finished the conversation:) I was told the surgery started at 9 and took about 4 hours. My time in the PACU was rough. I threw up for what seemed like eternity and they had to keep trying new nausea meds until they finally got one that worked. Not everyone has such an issue with anesthesia but I always have. I also was discharged on Saturday. I had traveled from SC to NY for my surgery so my surgeon wanted me to stay in the area until Monday. I will say my biggest issue with my recovery is the emotional toll brain surgery takes on your body. But there are others on here that did not experience the crying spells or depression, so again, everyone is different. I was told I would need someone with me all the time for the first two weeks and then after that I would just be limited to no lifting or straining for 3-6 months (and that means not even a gallon of milk). He said by 3 months I would not even be able to tell that I had had surgery. I am 4.5 weeks post op and I, personally, am not at a point that I could work if I needed to. But, I have been told by many people, my surgeon included, that I need to be walking everyday. I will admit that I have not been doing that and maybe that is why I am not where I should be by now. I would just follow all the instructions they give you! They know what is going to be best for you and help you in your healing process. Please ask as many questions as you need to! Everyone on here is more than willing to answer! Best wishes with your surgery!

Thanks so much for the responses I really do appreciate them they give me a lot of insight on what 2 expect after surgery I’m praying dat my recovery process is not as bothersome as before surgery as my symptoms are

Hi! I am 11 weeks post op. I was diagnosed last Oct. and only insurance issues kept me from having surgery sooner than April. I have been blessed by having many friends and churches helping me and my family during my recovery. While my Chiari headaches have reduced, My vision is worse, balance is worse, cognitive issues are still a bit wacky, and pain is different than before surgery. However, I as others have stated, everyone’s situation is different. I have 7 kids, a new born, and have had a really sick couple of years (whooping cough/pneumonia plus a bundle of minor colds/flu while pregnant and working) and huge stressors at home, so I think my body is depleted and recovery is slow due to that. I am able to do some of the regular mom duties (with long rest breaks) but I cant drive or “work”. I am having to choose to be careful with myself and face my own (hopefully temporary) limitations rather than bully myself into just getting better. I don’t think I would be alive or would be in much worse shape, if I hadnt had the surgery because it was a serious case going south fast. It is a hard recovery , so be kind to yourself. I think maybe that is one thing God wanted me to learn for myself - be kind to yourself, this isnt a walk in the park for anyone. Will be praying for you on this journey!