Little Sammy Scheduled For Decompression... what to expect?

Hi All... I am writing again for your knowledge and experience. Sammy is scheduled for surgery August 1. We decided to go ahead with the full decompression, and not the less invasive surgery that does not cut the dura. We based that decision on alot of information from you, and our own research on the reoperation rates. It was a terrible decision to have to make for him, but his symptoms continue to get worse. The dizziness continues, and the leg pain sometimes gets so bad he cannot stand...

But when he is not having symptoms he looks like a normal, active, happy 6 year old and I can hardly believe what is about to happen. Sometimes I even think that maybe it has just "gone away", which I know is ridiculous. I can't help hoping.

Anyway, I am writing to see if anyone can help set our expectations regarding this surgery with a young child. Did your child go through it? How did they do? How was their recovery? Is there anything we can do to make it easier on him?

Thank you in advance for your time. I am always grateful to have this forum to ask these questions.

I’m so sorry to hear that Sammy needs surgery. However, early detection & treatment is key. My daughter had surgery @ 4yrs old. The surgery & recovery went amazingly well. She really didn’t have pain after the second day. Her biggest issue was persistent vomiting which her NS said is a very common reaction to “messing around in that area of the brain.”. After 5 days post-op, a dose of steroids solved the problem. The day we came home from the hospital, she was running around, playing, & wanting to ride her bike. I bought button up pj’s for her so we wouldn’t have pull clothes over her head. I also got a bed tray so she could color & draw. I hope everything goes very well.