Light Exercise After Surgery

Hi guys,

I am almost 2 months post op and wanting to try to exercise a little.

So, I have some gentle options lined up and wanted to know if anyone has any advice as to whether it's safe or not.

My Dr said "no restrictions" and to ease back into life as I see fit.

I want to do either strength or walking 3-4 days per week to start and see how that goes.

I am not fit and need to lose weight.

I have these activities lined up: walk on the tread mill or do Leslie Sansone 1 mile walk, 2lb weights for arms: biceps, triceps and lateral raises, and leg weights for quadriceps raises.

I just did the arms and I do feel a tight feeling in the back of my head.

So I just stopped and am resting now.

But, am not sure if that is cuz the muscles are tight and sore.

But, I get that weird feeling in my head whenever I move above the speed of shuffling about the house in my slippers!

I wonder if it's the CSF fluid that causes that slight throbbing in the head or is it just from the deconditioning that comes from having surgery and resting a lot?

I am doing really well otherwise.

I do have some soreness at the back of my head still and I take regular strength Tylenol for that.

I take magnesium and vit d3 and multi vit and calcium.

Bottom line is does anyone have any input or advice ?

I rest a lot but I am getting to look like a marshmallow.

I am scared to get close to a flame! Someone might try to make s'mores out of me!

Lol

Thanks for reading!

I was recommended to start with stationary bike, then go to elliptical machine and then move on to treadmill. I’m 4 1/2 months post op and still nervous to lift weights.

Good Luck!

I had my Chiari surgery 3 years ago-I was 18 at the time & a competitive cheerleader prior to surgery. I was either cheering or working out 7 days a week so I was in great shape. After surgery my neurosurgeon was concerned about my muscles going stuff because of the damage the surgery does to the muscle so he had me go through an intense physical therapy-both sports medicine & regular physical therapy. I am still really sore at times through my neck & shoulder area (muscle mainly) but had I not done the exercising after my surgery I would have been far worse off. I suggest physical activity to anyone post surgery to help with the muscles in the neck/shoulder. Good luck!

i am 5 months post-op. My NS recommended walking right after surgery, which I did until it got too cold in Pittsburgh. I have since been using the elliptical. I cant really lift weights because I have a small pseudomeningocele so I have restrictions. I too get that tingling, tight sensation if I do too much. I also do neck stretches and isometrics 2 times a day and use some very light bands to work my postural muscles (between the shoulder blades). My neck and the back of my head are still so tight. If I didn’t do the stretching I would be a mess. Even if I am not feeling that great, I do feel better doing 20-30 minutes on the elliptical. Looking forward to walking outside again.
Good luck to you.

Hey BigD821 I am in Pittsburgh too and had my surgery on Jan 13th at Shadyside.

Who was your Doc?

I am looking forward to walking outside again too!

I wasn't given any kind of exercises to do or anything.

I am gleaning what I can from all the people on this site.

I think we are getting some spring next week!

BigD821 said:

i am 5 months post-op. My NS recommended walking right after surgery, which I did until it got too cold in Pittsburgh. I have since been using the elliptical. I cant really lift weights because I have a small pseudomeningocele so I have restrictions. I too get that tingling, tight sensation if I do too much. I also do neck stretches and isometrics 2 times a day and use some very light bands to work my postural muscles (between the shoulder blades). My neck and the back of my head are still so tight. If I didn't do the stretching I would be a mess. Even if I am not feeling that great, I do feel better doing 20-30 minutes on the elliptical. Looking forward to walking outside again.
Good luck to you.

I am going at it slowly but I think you are right.

Physical activity will help my body heal and retain flexibility.

Thanks Ashley!

Ashley Wilson said:

I had my Chiari surgery 3 years ago-I was 18 at the time & a competitive cheerleader prior to surgery. I was either cheering or working out 7 days a week so I was in great shape. After surgery my neurosurgeon was concerned about my muscles going stuff because of the damage the surgery does to the muscle so he had me go through an intense physical therapy-both sports medicine & regular physical therapy. I am still really sore at times through my neck & shoulder area (muscle mainly) but had I not done the exercising after my surgery I would have been far worse off. I suggest physical activity to anyone post surgery to help with the muscles in the neck/shoulder. Good luck!

I am amazed I was not recommended anything in particular.

I can use the treadmill but that elliptical is too hard on my knees ironically though I think it's fun to use.

I understand being nervous about weights.

Thanks for the advice!

I am learning from everyone on this site since I was not given specific instructions and just listening to my body.

Thanks for the advice Patti!

Patti said:

I was recommended to start with stationary bike, then go to elliptical machine and then move on to treadmill. I'm 4 1/2 months post op and still nervous to lift weights.

Good Luck!

I hear that walking is recommended fairly soon after surgery- that sounds like a great idea with the treadmill. As for the weights- I would book a few pt appts to get the correct knowledge first of how to use the wts with your injury. That’s great that you are ready to be up and moving!

Jenn

I am 4 months out and have suffered a number of setbacks with pseudomeningocele and atrophy of muscles in my neck and occipital neuralgia…..SO, I am one big lump of goo from lying around since November.

Despite all that really I have "no restrictions" from the doctor, but the PT would disagree with that! So I have been walking as tolerated at the mall for the past few weeks. I started with 1 loop and now I can do 2. First I started with an arms and legs 10 minute DVD but without the weights and used my own resistance as that was tough enough for me and now, I started with some restorative yoga which is helping to relax all those muscles which seem to spasm on a daily basis despite the medications. My PT says if things start to hurt stop….go slow (as I tend to do too much too fast)….Im VERY impatient so I have to say even the yoga is a bit of torture for me :) (Im not doing any of the hard poses--upside down or anything) . Good luck and listen to your body

I never had surgery and was told I don't need it but I can not lift weights anymore due the breathing issue I have. It tightens up my shoulders and neck to where I get breathing ristrictions at night and laying down for some reason my breathing gets constricted and I can't get a full breath. But it only happens when I start getting a good routine down at the gym, then I have to stop. I can do light weights for arms and can do light cardio, but any over exertion I start with my sypmtoms. I hate it. I just have to go easy. So I would be careful with the arms, just in case. I have been trying to do more hikes. I love to work out but have to be careful these days. I hope you find the right regimin and feel awesome soon. Just take your time and good luck!!

Lidia

Hi Ophelia ~

I can't believe that I actually found somebody else from Pittsburgh on here. I live in Cranberry. I had my surgery on Oct. 8th at Allegheny General. My NS is Dr. Aziz. Did you have Dr. Bejjani or Dr. Engh from UPMC? I saw both of them for opinions as well.

Since I have worked in PT all of my career and basically knew what to do, my NS didn't give me printed instructions of exercises. He just said to walk, do range of motion & isometrics. I added in the postural strengthening with bands myself because I know how important the postural muscles are in supporting the neck.

It is finally a gorgeous day. I am heading out for a walk right now.

Debbie :)

Ophelia1568 said:

Who was your Doc?

BigD821 said:

i am 5 months post-op. My NS recommended walking right after surgery, which I did until it got too cold in Pittsburgh. I have since been using the elliptical. I cant really lift weights because I have a small pseudomeningocele so I have restrictions. I too get that tingling, tight sensation if I do too much. I also do neck stretches and isometrics 2 times a day and use some very light bands to work my postural muscles (between the shoulder blades). My neck and the back of my head are still so tight. If I didn't do the stretching I would be a mess. Even if I am not feeling that great, I do feel better doing 20-30 minutes on the elliptical. Looking forward to walking outside again.
Good luck to you.

I had surgery October of 2012. I started taking short walks the day after surgery increasing in distance each week. At about 10 weeks post-op I started doing a version of the couch to 5K called Zombies, Run. I avoided running on snowy days because I was afraid of slipping and falling. I started doing light weights and Barre3 videos around 12 weeks. I've increased weights overtime so I can use go fairly heavy now unless it's overhead. Overhead presses make my neck muscles spasm so I limit those to 8 lb. dumbbells in each hand.

I think it's all really quite individual. If something doesn't feel right, don't do it! What works for me might not work for others. I have a friend who is 1 year post-op and she lifts quite heavy doing the Strong Lifts 5x5 program. She doesn't get the muscle spasms when she lifts overhead. So while I can only do 16 lb. combined she can do 50 lb. +.

Hey There!

I also live in Cranberry Twp! My 17 y.o. daughter has been dealing with her chiari for 3 years. She has not had surgery. How was your experience with Dr. B. ? I am actually a nurse at Shadyside hospital . Are your headaches better?

Heidi,

I just sent you a friend request so that I can send you a private message.

Debbie (from Cranberry :) )

Yes, my headaches are better and as time goes on so is the bending over type headaches/pressure.

I had trouble with my neck and ear and jaw. I am on a Medrol pack for fluid in my ears and it's helping.

I still have soreness at the back of my head and neck. I may have a fractured or dislocated jaw from the tube during surgery. I do have TMJ already though so maybe I was clamping down and all that while I was under?

Going for x-rays as soon as I can get to the hospital (St margarets in Pitt).

I had my surgery at Shadyside!

I love the work Dr. B did.

He was very nice but he is quick to come and go ( I think all surgeons are).

I didn't get any PT instructions or anything on paper. Who knows what they said whilst I was still under the effects of medicine/anesthesia though! Lol

Your daughter will do great with him should you choose/need surgery.

I have fibromyalgia and other things too so I still have pain from those.

The biggest improvement has been the vertigo and headaches.

I was told 85% estimate for symptom relief. I am 46 though and do not seem to have any kind of syrinx or anything of that nature.

I am told the young ones bounce back much quicker!

If you go to Dr B, ask lots of questions: he takes time to answer those but he will disappear if you don't ask stuff.

Lol

Let us know how things go for you and your daughter!

Good luck!

heidi said:

Hey There!

I also live in Cranberry Twp! My 17 y.o. daughter has been dealing with her chiari for 3 years. She has not had surgery. How was your experience with Dr. B. ? I am actually a nurse at Shadyside hospital . Are your headaches better?

If you ever have the time, could you share the exercises you do?

I play cello (beginner) and have trouble with my shoulders and arms.

Like you said, the neck is connected and all that and since I am sore still in the neck I have trouble playing for long (I also squeeze too much since I am a beginner. Trying to relax while I play).

What kind of exercises do you do with the band?

If you don't have time to answer np.

I understand.

Thanks for the posts!

:-)

BigD821 said:

Hi Ophelia ~

I can't believe that I actually found somebody else from Pittsburgh on here. I live in Cranberry. I had my surgery on Oct. 8th at Allegheny General. My NS is Dr. Aziz. Did you have Dr. Bejjani or Dr. Engh from UPMC? I saw both of them for opinions as well.

Since I have worked in PT all of my career and basically knew what to do, my NS didn't give me printed instructions of exercises. He just said to walk, do range of motion & isometrics. I added in the postural strengthening with bands myself because I know how important the postural muscles are in supporting the neck.

It is finally a gorgeous day. I am heading out for a walk right now.

Debbie :)

Ophelia1568 said:

Who was your Doc?

BigD821 said:

Good luck to you.