Life turned upsidedown and inside out

Hello all,

I am new to all this and I feel like my life has just been turned upside down and inside out.

I have known for years something just was not right but after many doctors could not figure out what was wrong and pretty much telling me it was all in my head, hey guess what it is all in my head.

I just don't know what to think or expect however I am glad to have answers at least I know what the problem is or seems to be.

I have been doing some research on this and it seems not many people or doctors know about this stuff or how it affects people who have it.

I am hoping to find help understanding what is going on with me on this site.

part of the MRI report

the cerebellar tonsils are low at 5mm below the foramen magnum bilaterally, with compressive effects on the tonsils. there is cfs signal front but none rear, the c4 c5 central stenosis with minimal compression c5 c6 central stenosis with compressive changes and mild to moderate foramen compromise on right.

cine MRI report

mild basilar invagination, tip of the dens 7mm above the chamberlains line. the clivus is relatively short but does demonstrate a vertical orientation.

the cerebellar tonsils extend 6mm below the foramen magnum. the tonsils demonstrate a slightly pointed appearance.

a csf cine flow study performed in sagittal midline position demonstrates patent csf flow to the front however there is absent flow noted to the rear to the tonsils no flow is noted out of fourth ventricle no pistoning is seen.

hoping some of you might be able to help me to understand what all the means.

Thank you all. young guy

It looks like your Chiari malformation is blocking your csf flow!

Basilar invagination occurs when the top of the second vertebrae moves upward. It can cause the opening in the skull where the spinal cord passes through to the brain (the foramen magnum) to close. It also may press on the lower brainstem.

I assume you are seeing a neurosurgeon?

Anglyn is right. The BI is a type of CRANIO cervical instability that compresses and stretches your spinal cord. The CCI is different then the Chiari but they often come together. The radiologist who read your MRIs was on top of it. It’s very rare that a radiologist will acknowledge CCI or measure your clivus angle. Stenosis means there is narrowing of your spinal canal, and the foraminal narrowing means there is arthritis or bone spurs growing on the side of your spine where the peripheral nerves runs through. Im sorry you have these things going on but glad you got answers.

Some great videos about Chiari and CCI:
CSFinfo.org
Scroll to videos
Scroll to metropolitan area
Watch everything with CCI and EDS

Jenn

Dr. Ringer at Mayfield was my surgeon and I was very pleased with the care I received there!

Keep us posted on how you are doing!

Well first of take a deep breath...they finally know what it is. That is the first huge step and the step that seemed to take the longest. Although it is all scary as hell and the options for correction are just as scary there is hope. I also had issues for a very long time and never really got any where with a diagnoses. Once I had the MRIs I met with a neurologist who didn't think my symptoms required surgery and gave me a bunch of meds that only masked the issues didn't fix them. I got a second opinion from another neurologist who sent me to e neurosurgeon for a consult. My cerebellar tonsils were 13mm below the foramen magnum. He recommended surgery and in order to possibly get my life back and get off the meds I opted to do the surgery. I was freaked out to say the least but had suboccipital craniectomy on June 30th of this year I was really tired after for a few weeks and went back to work after 7 weeks and haven't felt better in years. I still have days where I'm tired but I'm only 15 weeks post op still on some meds for the first 6 months to promote healing. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel that seems to be very long. Assuming you are getting pretty bad headaches those were better right away. Now when I get headaches there a different type altogether and are no where near as debilitating as they were before. Hope this helps. Thoughts and prayers.