Language problems

I have another question for you all. The last few weeks, I'm having trouble with words. Sometimes it's thinking of very common words I want to say, but not being able to think of it. Sometimes my mouth won't say the word correctly. Common words that I use all the time. It's a bit scary and I don't know if it's Chiari related or just old age setting in. Anyone have a similar problem? Is it Chiari related?

Shandier, what you describe sounds like some typical cognitive challenges a lot of us experience. I deal with it, in fact on one of my bad days I introduced myself as Mike- I’m a woman and my name is Jennifer. Yikes! It has gotten better since surgery, though. I may not be able to recall the word for that dinner food that’s made with lettuce, tomatoes, croutons, and dressing, but at least I am remembering my name these days.

Jenn

Thanks for the reassurance, Jenn. I was beginning to think I had early onset Altzhiemers (sp?). I'm going to the NS Thursday and I'm going to mention it too him since it's been bad the last couple weeks. I know many NS say there is no correlation, but I'll tell him anyway. Thanks again!

Oh, yes there is correlation! Shandier do you know your VItamin D levels? B levels? Magnesium? Many of us are low in these and supplementing can lessen the symptoms and pain too.

Shandier, first I want to thank you for your posts. Because of what I've read by you and others I decided I needed to join this group for support. As for this question about losing words, I've been going through that a lot lately. I can't come up with simple every day words. My son has had to fill in the blank for me way to often.

Glad I could help a little, mtsolo. I feel lost most of the time, myself.

My vitamin D was 4, but with taking 2000 IU a day it is slowly creeping up to 18 since January. The GP doesn't have a record of vitamin B or Magnesium are… hmmmm I may have to have them take my blood for the others. Thanks, jcdemar!

Shandier; I have the same problem...sometimes I can't remember words that I want to say. I can see it but can't say it. sometimes I mix up the words and put them in the wrong order when I am talking. I have also messed up our checkbook real bad one time. Made a deposit in the ledger 2x and forgot to deduct some things I bought. thank god there was enough money to cover the mistake but now my husband checks after me. I am going for a neuropsych evaluation next week. I am not happy about it but my NL ordered it after he heard about all of this. I called him last week to tell him that the NS believes all my problems are coming from the Chiari did he still want the eval. He told me definitely! I have looked up some of the testing on line and I am not thrilled to do this eval as the tests are rather complex and right now my brain can't handle it. Wish we could wait until after my MRI on Monday and if I need surgery do it after. I will be good and do as I am told!

Lily

I loose my train of thought often. I also have a difficult time remembering the word I want to use, I often have ppl help me figure out what Im trying to say. I dont have trouble actually saying the words when I talk yet, thankfully. :)

Kristy said:

I loose my train of thought often. I also have a difficult time remembering the word I want to use, I often have ppl help me figure out what Im trying to say. I dont have trouble actually saying the words when I talk yet, thankfully. :)

Yes Kristy, staying on the right train of thought is hard. When I have difficulty thinking of the work I want to say my husband usually helps me which is sweet but makes it more frustrating that I don't get he chance to think of the word. I sometimes put words in the wrong order.. Nice to know that people share the same problems and we can support each other. Lily