Kids with Chiara?

Hi everyone. My best friends 6 year old son was diagnosed with Chiari last month. They are really going through a hard time with this. They have met with a neurosurgeon and he had an MRI on Tuesday. (Not so good news) His Chiari is 15mm and he has 2 cysts on his spin. The neurosurgeon is awesome and is willing to get a second opinion, but he wants to have surgery as soon as possible due to the fact if the cysts burst it could cause permanent damage. He also said that it is unusual to see a Chiari that size in a child. I have put together a lot of infomation for them that I have found and it’s helping them some, but I would like to know what kind of questions they should ask the neurosurgeon before the upcoming surgrey. They asked me to come with them to the next appointment because they forget to ask questions and it’s hard for them to process what the doctor is telling them. They are like family to me and my family, so I am doing whatever it takes to help. Also what are somethings that helped with the two weeks of bedrest for an active 6 year old?? Any ideas or suggestions will help. They’re son has had medical ploblems since he was 6 months old. :frowning:

Thank you so much.

Hi there Faith, to begin to gather answers to some of your questions check out our Chiari Info for Members section, particularly the Hints for Parents page ... see the links from the tab in the purple menu banner towards the top of the page. You may also like to look back through past discussions here: http://www.chiarisupport.org/forum/categories/parents-and-caretakers-of-children-with-chiari/listForCategory