How long to expect pain post-op

A quick question. My 4 yr old grandaughter had her decompression surgery last tuesday. The experience was much more difficult than I thought it would be. She is finally home afetr 5 days in the hospital, but still having pain that seems to never be totally controlled. She is ordered acetaminophen (tylenol), motrin and oxycodone. Her headache is in the front of her head rather than the back. Could it more painful for her because she really had no symptoms before surgery? Is it common to have headaches in the front? How long will this continue. She also is vomitting on and off, although much less than when she was in the hospital. It is what kept her in for 5 days.

Great questions. My daughter (14) is scheduled to have her surgery on the 20th. I am assuming the recovery can vary widely...even if docs indicate otherwise. Don't know what to expect beyond that date. They keep saying that kids bounce back quickly and such but I don't want her to be totally surprised by awful pain and slow recovery. Hope your grandaughter heals soon.

Poor sweetie. The pain may be from the vomiting. I just had my surgery, and I too struggled with nausea and vomiting, and it gave me a searing headache (in the front of my head).

Can I ask why she was decompressed if she was asymptomatic? I hope she heals well and without further complications from surgery. Hang in there...the first few days are the worst. I've had two surgeries and turned the corner after about 2 weeks both times. And I would def keep up with the oxycodone. No way could I have been 5 days post-op without having it regularly around the clock. Are they giving her something for the vomiting - like Zofran or Phenergan? The oxy is probably what's making her throw up, if not.

I don't have any answers but I want to bump this up to top of the page.

Sending Prayers.....Wendy

Violet said:

Poor sweetie. The pain may be from the vomiting. I just had my surgery, and I too struggled with nausea and vomiting, and it gave me a searing headache (in the front of my head).

Can I ask why she was decompressed if she was asymptomatic? I hope she heals well and without further complications from surgery. Hang in there...the first few days are the worst. I've had two surgeries and turned the corner after about 2 weeks both times. And I would def keep up with the oxycodone. No way could I have been 5 days post-op without having it regularly around the clock. Are they giving her something for the vomiting - like Zofran or Phenergan? The oxy is probably what's making her throw up, if not.

pdrum said:

Violet said:

pdrum said:

pdrum said:

Violet said:

Violet, she was decompressed because an MRI found a Chiari of 16mm with considerable crowding. A Cine Mri of brain, cervcal and lumbar area revealed a tiny syrinx in the lumbar area and the NS did not want to even wait until summer(her mom is a teacher). She was sent home with orders for tylenol, motrin, oxycodone, zofran ODT and phenergan Supp. It has just been hard finding the right combination. The phenergan supp. instantly make her have to have a B.M. and she pushes them out before enough of it melts. I suspect the Oxycodone makes her throw up even with food. At least the vomitting is much less than in the hospital. She could not hold anything down. She is taking the zofran. It has just been a frustrating experience and it is so hard to see her in pain. We know it is getting bad when she wants an ice bag and someone to put their hands on her forhead.