How has Chiari Altered your Life?

PLENTY!

How has Chiari altered my life… It has altered not only my life, but the life of alot of other’s around me… I consider my life “before surgery” and “after surgery”. Long story short, I was always told that I was severly depressed, per why I was stuck in my life… Things were happening to me that I did not understand… So I become very dependant on the prescription drugs to function in my everyday life… Even to the point that me and my then husband had drifted apart… My PCP finally decided to send me in for that MRI that made all the difference in my life… I was almost 34 years old, had 3 kids, and was miserable in my marriage… But now here i was in a even more unbarable place in my life… Now I have the “rare” brain disorder, and knew nothing about where I was in my life or where I was going… I was still very dependent on the “drugs” that the dr’s kept giving me… That was until surgery…

After surgery… My life changed dramatically… I could finally think for the first time in a few years without the drugs fogging what I was thinking… I knew now that I wasn’t crazy… and that I definately wasn’t happy in the marriage I had been in for 15 years… My surgery was in July… I moved out in October… and divorced in December. From that moment on… My chiari taught me to deal with life on a daily basis. Never take advantage of good day’s. And let the bad day’s be bad… (which up until here lately… there were not many). I have met more people in the past year online with chiari, so I have other’s that finally understand me. So I would say Chiari has altered my life in many ways…

As for actual physial ways… I hate having to ask other’s for help… It STINKS… and now have to do that on a normal basis… I miss riding my wild and exciting roller coasters… and I hate “dealing” with pain and talking about quality of life and pain levels on a number scale…

Thanks all who posted on this topic!!

I can relate to the isolation,depression, pain ,asking for help ect…but I think we are all in agreement that we are lucky to have found each other…it really helps that you folks are here!!!

I lost my job…I worked for a blood center…doing physicals, then drawing a pint of blood.with a 16 gauge needle…that a big one!!!

As for the meds…I am thankful I stopped taking the narcotics…BUT…I take Fiorocet along with prozac…a lot of docs don’t like Fiorocet b/c of ‘rebound’.

teresa,

My gosh, you have been through so much!!! Be proud of yourself !!!

Teresa Brumley said:

How has Chiari altered my life… It has altered not only my life, but the life of alot of other’s around me… I consider my life “before surgery” and “after surgery”. Long story short, I was always told that I was severly depressed, per why I was stuck in my life… Things were happening to me that I did not understand… So I become very dependant on the prescription drugs to function in my everyday life… Even to the point that me and my then husband had drifted apart… My PCP finally decided to send me in for that MRI that made all the difference in my life… I was almost 34 years old, had 3 kids, and was miserable in my marriage… But now here i was in a even more unbarable place in my life… Now I have the “rare” brain disorder, and knew nothing about where I was in my life or where I was going… I was still very dependent on the “drugs” that the dr’s kept giving me… That was until surgery…

After surgery… My life changed dramatically… I could finally think for the first time in a few years without the drugs fogging what I was thinking… I knew now that I wasn’t crazy… and that I definately wasn’t happy in the marriage I had been in for 15 years… My surgery was in July… I moved out in October… and divorced in December. From that moment on… My chiari taught me to deal with life on a daily basis. Never take advantage of good day’s. And let the bad day’s be bad… (which up until here lately… there were not many). I have met more people in the past year online with chiari, so I have other’s that finally understand me. So I would say Chiari has altered my life in many ways…

As for actual physial ways… I hate having to ask other’s for help… It STINKS… and now have to do that on a normal basis… I miss riding my wild and exciting roller coasters… and I hate “dealing” with pain and talking about quality of life and pain levels on a number scale…

Hi...

Chiari has changed me in many ways..Now it has been 3 yrs post op...better than b4..yet struggle with some issues still.

On a positive note...Chiari has taught me many life lessons.....to be a better listener to others, realize now that I am stronger emotionally and spiritually than I thought. Chiari has also taught me how to give back to others who are struggling with this thing called Chiari..This site has given me SO MUCH..and by 'this site'....I mean, you guys here..you have given me hope and strength when I was down and out....told me your honest thoughts..ect...

I cannot say I feel blessed that I have Chiari..but I can say that I am blessed at just how many great people there are in our world...during my journey, I have met some whacked out 'medical professionals'..I use that term lightly!!! But I also have met some amazing health care workers, dr. nurses, techs..ect...that are just..flat out good decent people. In a world that is in chaos most of the time...it is refreshing to know that there are sincere, great people out there.

I have to end this long winded reply with a note of thanks to all of you folks here.....YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blessings and Hugs to You ALL!!!

Lori