Head rushes

Hi everyone, I am brand new to this group. I have had strange neurological symptoms for about 15 years and was just diagnosed with chiari malformation about 1 month ago. What is really bothering me is the feeling of blood rushing to my head when I move or even turn my head. I also hear it in my right ear at times too in the way of pulsatile tinnitus. Does anyone else have this? I am feeling glad to have a diagnosis to explain symptoms but have had such a hard time with my toddler aged son. I canā€™t pick him up or play with him like I would like. I am glad to have found this support group!

1 Like

I am new as well. My 11 yo daughter was recently diagnosed and describes most all of those symptoms. Iā€™m sorry youā€™re experiencing that too. Prayers to you and all of the members :purple_heart:

Hey Memes and myangelface,
Welcome to the Benā€™s Friends Network.
Many of us have had ā€˜strange neurological symptomsā€™ that either werenā€™t diagnosed or were misdiagnosed for many years. Within the neurological arena is seems all too common unfortunately, even after being diagnosed some symptoms were minimised by the medicos. ā€˜Ohh thatā€™s not relatedā€¦ā€™ when we know darn well it is.

Post neurosurgery I had to adapt to be able to do certain tasks. Before hand if I dropped something I bent down and grabbed it. Now, if I do that, I stand up get all dizzy, nauseas and (at times) pass out, finding myself on the floor. Iā€™ve found I canā€™t get my head lower than my heart. I now have to bend down with my knees, preferably near a wall, so that if I get all dizzy I can brace myself coming back up. Sometimes I can stand up no problem, other times dizzy, so the wall is more ā€˜Just in caseā€™.

I have had to learn my new limitations. Donā€™t get me wrong here, I want things back to the way they were before and believe me Iā€™ve tried to get back to before, but my body/brain has shown me that doing that makes things worse. I needed to adapt to be able to function.

Iā€™d recommend you self monitor, keeping a record of symptoms, times of occurrence and the activity you were doing at the time. This will help show any pattern and if you notice a change or you are concerned, get to a dr.

Merl from the Moderator Support Team

1 Like

How interesting that this started after surgery. Does your doctor have an explanation??

@ModSupport Merl, please see response and question above! Thanks!

Hey Memes,
Sorry I didnā€™t respond earlier but Iā€™m in Australia, so our time zones are a bit different.

Explanations?? Ohh Iā€™ve had numerous opinions. The surgeon says ā€œWell, itā€™s nothing Iā€™ve doneā€¦ā€ Each neurologist has their own theories with every thing from nerve pain to cervical dystonia to ā€˜Itā€™s all in your mindā€™. Iā€™ve trialled all sorts of meds from heart med for blood flow to epilepsy meds for regulating the electrical messaging to psych meds. None have been my ā€˜keyā€™.
Iā€™ve trialled a bit of everything, if someone suggested a theory or a remedy, I gave it a shot, but still no joy. Donā€™t get me wrong here, some things did help, for a while. Hydrotherapy is good. Nice and very relaxing but it doesnā€™t cure the headache. I tried Botox and yes, it relaxed my neck, But my neck is not the source of my headaches, so very little medical benefit for me (although I had a nice wrinkle free neck :slight_smile: I just had to walk everywhere backwards to show it off :rofl: ).

I have to say here that of all of the differing diagnosis and treatments Iā€™ve gone through the closest thing to an answer I received ā€œWell, youā€™ve had multiple brain surgeries, what do you expect? Obviously youā€™re going to have side effectsā€¦ā€
At the time I thought the Dr was damn rude, but the reality isā€¦ ā€¦He was right.

Merl from the Moderator Support Team

1 Like