Flow study

I am trying to figure out this report. Maybe ya'll can help.

The study report says There is mild tonsillar ectopia. There is no detectable caudal movement of the tonsils during systole. There is no associated cord syrinx in cervical cord. At the foramen magnum, bidirectional flow is displayed ventrally and dorsally. However on the dynamic CSF flow velocity analysis, moderate to severe blockage of flow in the dorsal aspect of foramen magnum at the late systolic phase is noted.

Late systolic blockage of flow dorsally at the foramen magnum consistent with Chiari I malformation causing altered CSF flow dynamics....

Why cant they speak English?

Good morning Christine.

Of course, the regular (I'm not a dr ... blah, blah) stuff but this is what I can tell from what you have written ...

(1) Your herniation is not big by that person's standards (mild tonsillar ectopia)

(2) They found no evidence of a syrinx (no associated cord syrinx in cervical cord)

(3) They noticed significant CSF blockage (moderate to severe blockage of flow)

(4) They feel that the blockage of the flow is due to the Chiari (last sentence)

That is about all I can tell you from that. I know it doesn't cover everything, but I picked out the things I could decipher. I hope it helps a little, but definitely have your dr tell you in their own words what it means to him/her. If you aren't understanding, make sure you let him/her know that. Don't leave the office until you are comfortable that you understand the report :)