Feeling so let down - lost faith in NHS completely

Hi guys,

Had my app. with the neurologist today, and I am really unhappy with how it went. I arrived, she asked some questions, performed a neuro exam, and then told me that I was to start on a migraine tablet, and that I was discharged. I asked her about check-ups/routine MRI's/problems, and she said "You'd need to go to your GP for all of that" and that they can't do routine MRI's on me.

I have waited 7 months to be discharged?!!? I feel like no-one wants to help me.

I then asked her what about the risk of developing a syrinx, as my symptoms are gradually getting a lot worse, and she said (you guessed it!) 'Go to you're GP if you're concerned".

Am I the only one that thinks this is ridiculous? The neurosurgeon said he can't help me and the neurologist has simply discharged me :(

Sorry about the rambling - just so annoyed/upset/alone/etc.

Hope you are all well!

Jessica x

Jessica, it seems like the same thing happened to me. I waited to see the neurologist to get some answers and hopefully some kind of treatment for my multiple problems. I went in and he did a very detailed exam and ordered tests. But as far as addressing chiari he said that it was found by accident and he didn't really think that it was a big enough problem to address in more or less words. He says this but I literally have 90% of all signs and symptoms. I don't struggle with fine motor skills, but I do with everything else for the most part. I work with these doctors and I think that that was the only thing that kept me from asking him if he was kidding me or what?!? My primary doctor took my complaints and chiari serious although he didn't want to treat much because he wanted me to see the neurologist first because it is so complicated. I do go back to see the neurologist in a month but there is no doubt in my mind that he wont address the multiple problems I am having. I don't really know what to say or do at my next appointment but I don't want to be overlooked.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I saw two neurologists and both were just awful. I've reached the conclusion that the majority have no idea what to do with Chiari patients. :( I hope you can press your GP into trying another neurosurgeon. I'm not sure how things work in the UK but Beeba had a good idea with the ER.

My husband said the same thing Anglyn, that doctors just don't know what to do about it because the only solution is surgery and that isn't even a solution most of the time.