Employment with Chiari

I was wondering how many people are unable to work due to their symptoms? Does anyone have a legit work from home job?

I had to stop working about 2 months ago. Not sure when I can go back...waiting on tests and a 2nd and 3rd opinion from neurosurgeons about surgery. I stood for long periods of time and overall had a pretty physical job which is why I had to stop. Applying for a new job doesn't seem to be working out since I have dr appointments all the time and most of all, have a tough time walking. Who is going to hire me??

The medical bills and normal life stuff keep coming! Any advice on what the rest of you do as far as work/money/medical bills would be appreciated!

I am 19 and had to quit my job because of my chiari. Granted, I worked as an animal shelter kennel tech and it was a very physically demanding job. I am really, really hoping that I will be able to go back once I've recovered enough from decompression surgery, I've already noticed that my fatigue and some other symptoms are better. I know there are a lot of people here that have Chiari and do still work, but there are a lot that don't. I even had to put school on hold because of the memory loss, thankfully I was able to put my scholarships on hold while I tried to figure out what was wrong. Hoping to go back in the Spring. Wishing you the best of luck in your chiari journey.

Bmtiz92 - thanks for responding :) good luck to you with school, work, and your recovery!

Emmaline - good to hear from you :) I stopped working on my own. It got to the point where I felt like I was having a stroke every night at work. Is there another way to apply?? If so, through who? I'm glad to hear you feel better!

Thank you for the information Emmaline!!!

I agree with what Emmaline said and I would add that all of us are very different with the outcomes as we are with the symptoms.

What helped me decide was my disability company had me complete a functional capacity test with a registered PT (Not all PT do this test though). needless to say I scored very low and I was working at a sit down job answering phones and using a computer..not lifting, no physical part at all. If you still have insurance I would look into it. This test also helped tip the scales for me to decide about surgery (I know that is not the topic), I just wanted to point out that in my opinion it can be a significant test to decide when you get the results.

My main goal is to get back to work but I want to fully recover first and make sure I will not have a relapse soon after returning to work. Like I said in the beginning, everybody is different if you think you can , try but listen to your body.

sorry I lost my train of thought and I can not get it back so I will close by saying, listen to your body and do what is best for you and your family

I had to quit working (went on medical leave) in Nov. 2011 after my symptoms took full effect. I haven't had a complete decompression yet so I don't know if I'll be able to return after or not. But I applied for SSI/Disability as soon as I went on medical leave b/c so many people told me it could take up to 2 years to fully recover and I knew it would take close to that to get approval. Figured if nothing else it would allow me to pay off stuff once I got it, if I am able to return to work. Good luck!

Hi ya, I’m still working 4 days. I work with 30,4yr olds in a childcare centre. They are very loud and full on. I do have good days with them but I do have crappy days. I’m lucky, the children know when I’m not good, they are a little bit quieter. Good luck with your job. Cheers. :slight_smile:

Hi Lindsey,

I had to retire from my job under disability in July. I was out of work most of May and couldn't return as my short term memory and concentration are affected by the Chiari. I worked for the court system, was on the computer all day and needed to provide accurate info to the Judge and other agencies in the courtroom. I ran out of FMLA with pay around the end of May. My pcp along with the nl diagnosed me as permenatly disabled in June and I was able to apply for my pension under disability. I'm also going to apply for SSDI probably this month. Thank God my hubs was able to make some financial adjustments and we have been getting by. We had to put all of our bills on budget and refinance and I should be receiving my first pension check mid October. In addition to being newly diagnosed in March and all of the emotions that came with that, having to retire early and unplanned, go to all of the testing and doctor appointments and the financial worries was and at times still can be so very stressful. It's just so much lifestyle change in such a short period of time. Surgery is not an option for me presently. I'm trying different meds for the headaches now, haven't found one that I'm not allergic to yet:( You will be in my thoughts and prayers that you feel better and stay safe,

Aveet:)

Thank you to everyone that reponded! I appreciate all the kind words and great information!