Emotional/psychological issues before and after surgery

I had my surgery almost 11 months ago (can you believe it those who know me??) and have made an observation that, to me, might be very profound.

For a good year and a half before my surgery, including my failing health, I went through some very difficult things, including a break up after 17 years, relocating, resigning from my job, loss of income, and just getting sicker and sicker. In dealing with all of it, I had times of pretty hairy "meltdowns" and sometimes I thought it was so bad that I would be better off just psych hospitalizing myself. I was seeing an incredible therapist who helped, but it was as though in was on a very, very short fuse and moments away from feeling pretty self destructive depending on what major thing just happened. My tolerance level could be very low, and well, it was just plain scary.

I had my surgery Oct 15th, and about 2 months later, experienced another relational trauma/setback. Life moved forward and I dealt with it never thinking about this, until someone close to me said that she wondered why I was handling life so much better and differently now. I said "I don't know" although I knew she was correct. I began to ponder and suddenly realized that the timing ran parallel to my surgery. Holy Smokes!!!!

There have been some new outlandish things that I have been dealing with now for 2 months, and although I have cried and sobbed a river on occasion, that has been about it.

So, I am now wondering, since I had some pretty serious brain stem compression that has been relieved, let alone who knows what with the surgery, if the surgery could have helped something.

I can guarantee you that the change isn't because I just feel better, nor am I on any meds that could be attributed to the change. Also, I am thinking through it all so much clearer and not feeling so spun out. It is just odd, although I am very thankful!

So..thoughts? Has anyone noticed a positive emotional change or better coping abilities not attributed to anything else. I mean, it was BAD (without going into details) before the surgery, and now, it is just so...different.

I look forward to reading your posts.

thanks

I seem to be more irritated with things since my surgery, but I keep contribituting it too me still not feeling good and everyone thinking I should be running at 100%.

But I can see where lack of flow and compression could affect emotions, EVERYTHING seems to affect them so why not that!

Gunna,

I didn’t know you going through so much, I’m sorry. I think it’s very possible that an improved outlook, or feeling better about life comes after the surgery. Although it makes sence that a brainstem compression could affect mood, and why not - it changes our hormones and autonomic nervous system. But also I think sometimes we just don’t realize just how awful we feel until the pain is lifted. We go through our daily lives trying to handle work and relationships while under a veil of pain and a failing body - it takes a toll. Plus, we appear normal, so the people around us have a hard time really integrating the severity of our symptoms.

Also, for me, one of the most difficult aspects of having this affliction has been looking forward at a future that is unknown. This has probably been the scariest part for me. Will I always feel so bad? will my husband leave? Will I ever be well enough to have children? will the surgery make things better or worse?

Well, I had the surgery and it has improved my symptoms some. My husband and I are (very) slowly learning to be partners through this. I am in the process of getting looked at for a cranial cervical instability. Beeba has said that Chiari becomes a journey- this is so true. I think I’m somewhere in middle right now, but the improvment to my symptoms has had a huge difference on my daily outlook. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, there always is. We just have to brave enough to travel there. You did and know we can all look to you as a success! Thank you for sharing- it helps all of us.

Jenn

I still have a few dramatic emotional over-reactions (going through some stuff myself this year) but overall I do think I'm more calm and centered since surgery. I also don't take things so seriously. I'm much more focused on enjoying myself now. I no longer waste energy trying to impress other people and just focus on being happy with myself.

I'm glad to see you back on the boards, btw! We had surgery the same day! :)