Dr. Ciricillo in Northern CA?

Just wondering if anyone here knows or is a patient of Dr. Sam Ciricillo in Sacramento, CA? I have an appointment with him on July 18th and was hoping someone could tell me anything about him? Have been trying to research different NS in Northern CA but it doesn't seem like there are many to choose from! Thanks...

Hi Rosebud,

Small world. I have my 1 month post op with Dr. Ciricillo on July 18th at 12:45! There are not many "Chiari" neurosurgeons in Northern CA and Cr. Ciricillo is probably the only one with over 100 Chiari surgeries (he is over 500). He did my third decompression with a C2 lamincectomy just 9 days ago (July 20th). Only being 9 days out, it might be too early to tell, but I feel great and he is impressive. If you would like to meet while you are here, please let me know. This was my third surgery in the last 20 months (first time I had Dr. Schrot, second time I had Dr. Oro, and this third time I had Dr. Ciricillo). All three are really good for varying reasons. Please contact me if you would like together. My wife and I are always here to talk.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Mandy and Jeff,

Wow...small world! That's amazing that your appointment is on the same day, Jeff! Mine is at 10am, so I may see you in the waiting room. :-) I'm hoping my hubby can come with me, but as of now he's scheduled to work. I'm glad you seem to be feeling better. That's always a good sign! :-) This whole process for me has been so frustrating and confusing, so I'm sure hoping Dr.Ciricillo can help me sort it out, although I'm trying not to get to hopeful. My PCP has not been helpful at all. I started going to her about 7 months ago when things started to get pretty bad and she sent me for every test imaginable. Heart monitor, event monitor, ultrasounds, etc...All came up negative. The only thing that came up was a 4mm tonsillar ectopia on my MRI. She said it wouldn't cause any of my symptoms because it's too small, so she put me on antibiotics to see if that would help. Then she tried antihistemines to see if it was seasonal allergies. Then Imitrex. Then steroids. Then Topomax. And the list goes on. I think she's finally washed her hands of me. I saw an NL here in town, but he said he'd only worry if my herniation was 5mm, so he tried to teat me for migraines as well. Saw an NS who said my symptoms were A-Typical of Chiari because they really only affect one side of my body. Had another MRI done which shows some bone spurs in my neck on the C3-4, 4-5, 5-6 discs, but she said those also wouldn't cause any issues. Just feel like I'm at my wits end and don't know what to do. I'm guessing that Dr.Ciricillo may not have any answers for me as it seems like there is "no cause" for me feeling so poorly, but he comes so highly recommended that I just want to try . All I really know is that a year ago I felt great and while I had a few "weird" things going on I always felt like I could explain them away somehow. Now I struggle with right hip pain and leg weakness, fine motor skill issues with my right hand,chest pain, racing heartbeat, neck pain, and head pressure on my right side for the past 7 months. Makes me so lightheaded sometimes I worry I'm going to pass out. (I've only had two episodes of my legs collapsing). The thing I struggle with most is driving long distances. Sometimes my vision gets blurry, I have a hard time concentrating on the road, my foot goes numb, or I feel like I'm gonna pass out. It makes me so nervous especially when I have my three boys in the car with me! Anyway...do either of you have any suggestions as to what might be going on with me since my PCP has no idea?

Just my thoughts here - the size of your herniation is not the major concern. I have meet Dr. Ciricillo twice. He won me over for a third surgery, but I am only 10 days post op, so I will know more once I meet with him again and I have an MRI post surgery. He is well recommended, but do was Dr. Schrot and Dr. Oro. Each surgeon has a particular skill set and the key is finding the right now for what you need. For example, if Dr. Schrot does some amazing work with brain tumors and brain cancer. Dr. Oro and Dr. Ciricillo do great work for Chiari. With that said, they both only have a skill that work for about 70% of the Chiari population and that success rate is at about 70-80% of their patients (Dr. Oro is had told me each time that my success possibilities is about 80% for my situation).

Have you ever been tested for POTS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postural_orthostatic_tachycardia_syndrome)?

I sent you a friend request. When you (and hopefully your husband) are here in the Sacramento area, my wife and I are more willing to meet up with you. We live in Galt (about 30 minutes from Sacramento). We have an extra room if you need one. When are you coming into Sac? We can meet the night before or for breakfast. I am a teacher and off for the summer and my wife said she would take the day off work if necessary. Please let us know. Would love to help you out during this time of need.

Jeff

I’m seeing him on 6/19/17. Any words of advice?

Hi Kathryn,

I was impressed with Dr. Ciricillo. My last surgery (C2 partial laminectomy) did not help me, but I have other issues going on and I do not believe it was due to a lack of skill by Dr. Ciricillo. Dr. C is probably the best option in the Sacramento area for a Chiari surgery.

What are you having done or what are your issues?

Do you have Ehlers Danlos?

Sorry for the questions, but I can’t really answer your questions without some background information. Please feel free to message us if needed. My wife and I help Chiari and Ehler’s patients once in a while when I get these surprise emails (which I appreciate). She also has a different point of view, which always helps.

We are here for support. Please contact me, if you want to talk more.

Wishing you all the best health possible!

Jeff

Thank you so much! I just got diagnosed from an MRI I did last week. 10mm CM1 and a Diffuse disc bulge causing mild spinal stenosis. I have never been diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos, but I’m extremely flexible, and bruise easily. I asked my PA about it (I don’t like my actual doctor too much) and he said I should absolutely mention it to Dr. Ciricillo.

I’m glad to know I’m going to somebody good. I really don’t want surgery if I can help it at all. My symptoms are mild but almost constant.

Why wife just had surgery with him a month ago… Better than all three of the other neuros we saw combined. My wife was becoming wheelchair bound and now she is returning to activities she hasn’t been able to do in a long time. Sutter Health has an amazing hospital and all the nurses were amazing.

1 Like

That is wonderful to hear. Any tips on what questions to ask?

What are your symptoms?

For me it has been LOTS of low grade to terrible headaches. I have lots of tension in my neck and shoulders. Depression and fatigue. I never put it all together. I went in because I had this weird pain when I would roll my shoulders down and back my right bicep would hurt in the middle. The doctor was so so puzzled and maybe because he’d seen me frequently (for me) for a variety of things. So I got the MRI and then everything made sense. When I was younger I’d have headaches when I laughed too hard and I’d have to stop playing. I thought everybody did. Tons of little things. Right now I’m really starting to notice that I’m missing words in sentences more often when I write. I’m more easily fatigued at work, easily distracted. Sometimes I get dizzy when I stand up. Nothing is really regular though except the tension.

Interesting…

Do you get headaches if you exert yourself or cough? Have you tried any conservative treatments (trigger point therapy, physical therapy, exercise, diet, weight loss, etc)? Have your symptoms progressed recently? Have you been tested for vitamin deficiencies, anemia, and Lyme’s disease?

I’ve been tested for limes, arthritis, all the obvious things (B12, iron, etc). I’ve lost over 50 pounds in the last 10 years, but about 15 recently. I could stand to loose more. I found that I really loved lifting, but it started to become a pain issue with my neck and shoulder. Pain radiating into my arms. I’ve gotten a monthly massage for years and recently switched to active release which is great, but monthly isn’t enough anymore. It used to be a monthly massage was good enough to keep me relatively pain-free. I even have a prescription.

Except for a little extra weight and my brain I’m in perfect health. Never even had braces. :slight_smile: My doctor says she wishes her patients would eat a diet like me.

Met with him and I liked him. Did your wife have a patch or did he just score the dura? He said he wouldn’t need to do a patch for me.

My wife had the dura scored. :blush:

What did he say about your imaging and symptoms?

He said it is all pretty text book. I guess in terms of Chiari I’m really basic. :slight_smile: I have no complications, but a big brain and a small skull. He felt very confident that relieving the pressure would solve my pain and headaches and that that in turn would significantly effect my depression and fatigue since chronic pain is so crappy.

I do have to figure out if I have EDS though. I’m crazy flexible so I’ll see about that next.

Awesome! Let us know if you if you need anything pre during or post op. My wife and I would be happy to assist in any way we can. Also, if you’d like I can get you in in touch with my wife and she can explain her experience to you.

Very happy for you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi there - I am going into surgery on the 15th, next week. I am also getting divorced and putting together a web of support to help me while I heal. I have two dogs and a cat so that alone is a little daunting. Anyway, can you guys give me any tips on what to expect post surgery? I have a text book case and I’m really really healthy otherwise.

Trying to figure out how much help I’ll need…oy.

I would love to hear more from your wife :slight_smile: