Don't know what to do

Ugh, I don’t know what else to do right now. I’ve been battling another bad multi-day headache since Monday night (second time within a month) and right now, I can’t move my head and neck out of neutral without pain. I took my pain meds and muscle relaxer a little while ago, but haven’t noticed much difference yet. I don’t know how much longer I can put up with this before I go ballistic on my doctor. I stopped seeing my Neuro provider because I was getting sick and tired of her just throwing more meds at me… I’ve only gotten worse since seeing her. I’ve been trying to get my doctor to refer me to Dr Oro, but he’s too worried about the idea of me possibly having surgery. I understand that, and I like my doctor, but at the same time, what else am I supposed to do?

lia, I can understand your frustration. It is difficult to cope with persistent pain. I am sure your doctor is trying the different medications in an effort to help you. I did want to share also that I have seen here that surgery is not always a cure-all for Chiari symptoms. Many here have had decompression surgery and find themselves still coping with symptoms. And, that said, still others have had success. I think it’s a highly individual process. I have found some of the most important things are to develop strong coping strategies and work at maintaining a positive outlook. It has helped me tremendously with challenges of illness. If you haven’t yet explored mindfulness, give it a look. I was skeptical of it at first, but it has been a very useful coping tool.

Best wishes,

Laurie