Does your screen name give away your identity?

Dear Members

Ben’s Friends prides itself on keeping this community safe and supportive. I’m posting today to ask for your help in keeping it that way.

We’ve noticed that we have a fairly large number of members here who have screen names that may divulge their identity. If you are one of these, could you please take a few minutes to alter your screen name to make your identity secret? (Screen names are public, your profile is visible to other members only).

HOW to change your screen name: (below I’ll post a shortcut if you find that easier)

1. Log In
  2. Tap your avatar (upper right hand quadrant)
  3. Tap the head icon
  4. Tap Preferences.

Change your screen name, and while you’re on your preferences, any other place your name might appear in your profile.

Don’t forget to save your changes!

If you have any questions, you can post them on this thread or send us a private message by tapping our avatar, and then “Message”. We’re always happy to hear from you.

All the best

Seenie from Admin.

Shortcut to your preferences page (log in first): https://forum.chiarisupport.org/u/yourscreenname/preferences/account

Admin notification to all members: @trust_level_0

PS to members: should this not work, please tell us in a PM or a post here what you’d like your screen name to be. We will change it for you.

We’d also appreciate hearing how you are accessing the site. Are you on your phone, a tablet, a laptop? Are you using the DiscourseHub app or a browser? The more you can tell us, the better we can solve this mystery. I’m very annoyed that this didn’t work for you you, and I want to work out why. Thanks for your help.

To PM, click on our avatar, then on Message.

Following these steps does not give me the option to edit my @name.

1 Like

If you tell me what you would like to change it to, I can change it for you.

Sharon from ModSupport

I couldn’t change my username/screen name. The option is not there. Thanks

Hi Z-head. I’m so sorry this didn’t work for you. We will happily change it for you: just reply on this thread, saying what you’d like your name to be. We will change it for you, no problem.

Can you tell me, though, how you are accessing the site? Are you on your phone, a tablet, a laptop? Are you using the DiscourseHub app or a browser? The more you can tell us, the better we can solve this mystery. I’m very annoyed that this didn’t work for you you, and I want to work out why. Thanks for your help.

Tell us the screen name you want and it will be done! Once it’s done, all traces of the screen name you have now will disappear, as well as this post.

Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for your help!

Seenie

Thank you for telling us this went wrong, Lourdes. We will happily change it for you: just reply on this thread, saying what you’d like your name to be. It really is just a few keystrokes for the people in ModSupport.

Can you tell us, though, how you are accessing the site? Are you on your phone, a tablet, a laptop? Are you using the DiscourseHub app or a browser? The more you can tell us about what machine you’re working on, the better we can solve this mystery. I’m very annoyed that this didn’t work for you you, and I want to figure out why. Thanks for your help.

So tell us the screen name you want and it will be done! Once it’s done, all traces of the screen name you have now will disappear, as well as this post.

Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for your help!

Seenie

Help!
Your instructions still wouldn’t let me change my Username. I clicked and clicked and clicked on it, but it would not highlight to let me change it. The avatar allowed me to change it. (which I wasn’t prepared to do) But, I can’t get the Username to change. What’s missing?

• Beth

Hmmm… Is there a pencil icon? Try tapping it? S

I am using my Android phone to access the site via web browser. I didn’t know there was an app. I’ll switch to that I think.

I would like my screen me to be Zipperhead08.

Thanks for your help!

Once the DiscourseHub app is on my phone, how do I find the site?

Done!

Sharon

Beth, another Beth beat you to that screen name. So you are Beth2. Would you like something different, like maybe BethNC? (Or anything else you fancy!) We can do that in a flash. Just let us know.

What a fascinating profile story! BTW, did you know that you can see other members’ profiles by clicking on their avatar?

Seenie

Zipperhead, it’s our pleasure. Message us any time we can be of help.

Sharon and Seenie

On an android device …I’m not sure, and I don’t have one. Let me see what I can find out for you.

Seenie

For those with an android device, using DiscourseHub, you might want to consider joining this forum:
DiscourseHub | Android Forums (click on the blue print)

Seenie

No, there is no pencil icon that shows up next to “Username.” A pencil does show up next to my “Change your picture” option. But, nowhere does a pencil show up next to the “Username.” What do I do now?

Sincerely,

Beth

Hmmm… that is odd. Are you on a Windows machine? Android? IOS? Phone? Tablet?

If you let me know, that would help me figure out how to help you.

Do you want me to change your Screen name? I do have that little pencil!

Seenie

Dear ModSupport Seenie,

Looks like you are going to have to change the Screen name for me. I tried from my Chromebook, and here again, I tried to change if from my work computer, which is a Windows 10. Nowhere can I get a pencil to show up next to my Username. I’d like it to be “WalkRacer.” Not Beth2. That’s still too obvious. I’d appreciate it!

• Beth

Done!

Sharon