Decompression surgery

Hi. I am new to this. I got diagnosed with chiari malformation in febuary this year 2015. i have been told i have type 1, however now my neuroseurgeon has sent me a letter and is going to offer me decompression surgery. I always have headaches and some are really painful. I have weakness on my left arm and suffer with pins needles and tingling and also numbness in my both feet. My back is also always painful. Just woundering if anybody on here that has had decompression surgery and what was the outcome. ? I have been on other sites and some people have turned out worse than.what they was. So im unsure what to do. Thank you all in advance for any replies. :slight_smile:

Hi shazza! I just had my decompression surgery on 4/13/15, I am 7 weeks postop. My tonsil were at 16mm I had headaches, severe neck pain and numbness. So far the numbness is gone I still have some spazims from the surgical site which they say is normal and will get better over time. I feel better then before my surgery and continue to get better everyday! I went back to work at a busy OBGYN office, were I have an office manager position, it’s it fast paced and stressful at times and I’m doing great! The surgery is rough for the first few weeks it’s painful, I gave had other surgeries before, this one by far was the most difficult. It is a decision you will have to make for yourself, just make sure you check out your surgeon!! I hope all goes well and this was helpful to you Good luck!