Decompression Surgery with Dr. Tew

Hi all! I am in the process of scheduling my first appointment with Dr. Tew. I was wondering how likely it will be that he will recommend surgery. I started having severe symptoms about 3 weeks ago, constant headaches, dizziness, numbness and tingling, exhaustion, neck pain, and cognitive dysfunction. I am worried that he will suggest other methods and then I will have to have the surgery years down the road. Any input would be appreciated!

Also, your all's experiences with the surgery would also be very helpful!

Hi There,

I do not know Dr. Tew so I cannot give you any input other that that he has a great reputation...Have you read "Contents Under Pressure " by Ray D'Alonzo??? A must read in my opinion..He was Ray's surgeon.

Please keep us posted on how you are making out in the process.

Peace,

Lori

Thanks Lori! I have not, but I have heard of it, and he actually sits on the board for the chiari center that Dr. Tew started in Cincinnati. I just now now purchased the book on amazon! :)

lori said:

Hi There,

I do not know Dr. Tew so I cannot give you any input other that that he has a great reputation...Have you read "Contents Under Pressure " by Ray D'Alonzo??? A must read in my opinion..He was Ray's surgeon.

Please keep us posted on how you are making out in the process.

Peace,

Lori

Hi....

It is such a great book....Let me know what you think about it.

Have you had a CINE MRI? What does your regular MRI show?

I have not seen Dr. Tew but I did see Dr. Ringer at the Mayfield Chiari Center and LOVED him. Still waiting to know whether they will recommend surgery for me as he is consulting with the other NS.

My MRI showed a 4.5 mm herniation which I have had since at least 2010. I am scheduled to have a CINE MRI and an MRI of my cervical spine on Monday. How large was your herniation?

I can't say how he will want to proceed because I haven't seen him, but my NS (Dr. Aclan Dogan @ OHSU here in Portland, OR) looked at my MRI, did a simple exam, then said "This is the surgery we're going to do..." There was no "I think this would be a good idea" or "These are the options", he was very insistent that I needed to have surgery, and we actually scheduled my surgery that day because he felt it was that urgent. I had a 10mm (1cm) herniation and very consistent pain and pressure.

I have a 10mm herniation. The reason for the consult is because the CINE didn't show the CSF as completely blocked. He says usually he sees either total block (surgery indicated) or flowing freely (no surgery). Mine is partially blocked with abnormal flow.