Correlation between Chiari & movement

I was recently diagnosed. One of the questions i am curious about is whether others have seen a correlation between Chiari and sensitivity to motion I.e., boats, elevators etc?

I have been extremely sensitive to any kind of motion for years. Maybe not surprisingly one of my most troublesome symptoms is related to balance and dizziness.

I look forward to hearing from others - thanks!

I get dizzy very easily! I also get carsick/seasick at the slightest tilt. I have been that way my whole life! I never really thought about it being part of my Chiari…

Thank you ALL for your responses! It is so nice to hear from others with similar issues. I too have always been this way - feet on the ground I always have said eg NO roller coasters, NO zip line - all of that stuff scares the crap out of me! Yes, even walking some days is challenging.

I used to do yoga (well, I used to do a lot of things - was in Martial Arts for 7 years-3 different systems, weight lifting etc) but since January if I don't take the current meds I am on I am literally staggering and falling. I may be stabilized enough now to try yoga again (maybe not downward dog lol) - thanks for that reminder.

I'm glad I'm here too - happy I found the site =)

I'm very sensitive to riding on escalators because I have both depth perception problems, so it's hard to figure out how to position feet to get on & get off, and I get vertigo on them. Changing direction while walking is also an issue.

Yes it do I no longer can take long drives unless I take medication for motion sickness prior, that includes flying, so now I just avoid it if I can!

OMG…me, too!! I hate escalators and my boys like to pick on me because I am always hesitant to ride one! And walking down stairs is bad, too, especially bleachers that I can see through!

new2net98 said:

I’m very sensitive to riding on escalators because I have both depth perception problems, so it’s hard to figure out how to position feet to get on & get off, and I get vertigo on them. Changing direction while walking is also an issue.

Definitely seeing a commonality here!

Yes! Escalators, down stairs (afraid of falling), even if I turn my head to look over my shoulder when walking its hard to ‘reset’ when turning forward again. Any motion and/or head movement :confused: The meds I am on for the balance and dizziness helps (phenergen & Valium). I hate taking anything at all but it’s better than the alternative of staggering and falling.

Does anyone know of any other meds to help with this?

I haven't went boat fishing with my husband in over 3 years.. not only the motion but the jarring going on to my cervical spine was way to much. I'm not sure how it would feel since surgery (6/25). Won't be ice fishing this ear though... to big of a chance of slipping and falling and my luck it would be my head or neck I would hurt.... I'm kinda a klutz.

STAIRS...the bane of my existence...

TexasMom1977 said:

OMG.....me, too!! I hate escalators and my boys like to pick on me because I am always hesitant to ride one! And walking down stairs is bad, too, especially bleachers that I can see through!

new2net98 said:

I'm very sensitive to riding on escalators because I have both depth perception problems, so it's hard to figure out how to position feet to get on & get off, and I get vertigo on them. Changing direction while walking is also an issue.