Chiari malformation 1

Hi I need some help figuring this out. I had an mri this past December and the finfings are as follows. Impression. Mild caudal migration of the cerebellar tonsils 4mm below level of foramen magnum. It aldo says cerebella tonsils are in normal position. Can someonr please help with this my dr said this id nothing??

It can help to discuss with your doctor what the horizontal view shows how much crowding is taking place. The length of the hernia provides little information other than that you have a Chiari malformation. Radiologists who read the MRI are not always knowledgeable about the correlation between a CHiari presentation and the corresponding symptoms in the actually human being.

You do not say what specialty the doctor was nor if they LOOKED at the MRI or just read the report. Could very well be time to seek another opinion. Good luck in your search.

I wonder what the average is on how many health care professionals CHiari folk see before they are believed and find someone with the knowledge base to help them. I have learned that it is difficult to brow-beat doctors into helping - just have to find the right one! Again, good luck in finding answers

Hi Suri

I have symptoms of balance issues, dizziness and constant pressure type headache at back of head. These symptoms prompted me to get an MRI and it showed a 4mm / 5mm hernia which 'couldn't be the cause of these problems' . 10 years and 5 MRI's later I am no further forward...all reports say 'a mild chiari malformation'.

What are your symptoms??

GOOD LUCK !!

Helen,

I have shoulder and neck pain but not sure if that's what it is coming from. Sometimes a headache. I get head pressure

And my ears feel full at times. I get hot flashes and my head feels weird snd my heart beats fast.

That could be from hormones . Not sure what to fo dr. Says this is nothing.

Thsnk

Ou I have symptoms of balance issues, dizziness and constant pressure type headache at back of head. These symptoms prompted me to get an MRI and it showed a 4mm / 5mm hernia which 'couldn't be the cause of these problems' . 10 years and 5 MRI's later I am no further forward...all reports say 'a mild chiari malformation'.

What are your symptoms??

GOOD LUCK !!

The list of docs developed here is pretty goodand can be pretty well trusted

There is a new kid on the block which is the nonaffiliated chiari center which seem to be popping up with a bit of regularity. Chiari surgery is pretty hot in a lot of markets right now replacing the spinal centers of a few years ago. You can generally figure out who these guys are. They have wonderful websites loaded with patient testimonials. Often there is a list of "articles" written by the principals, but the place the were published is missing or it was not a peer reviewed proffesional journal. I am generally suspicious if they show up on the first few pages of a google search more than a few times in a non professional setting (publications, association memberships, staff directories are great) That usually indicates they have made a strong attempt at SEO - internet marketing.

I can not imagine not seeking a second or even third opinion no matter who the doc is. We are talking opening your head, remkving part of your skull and moving your brain around.