Chiari just a coincidence?

Well, today my worst fears were confirmed. I finally got results back from my nerve biopsy, and the report was that I have a high amount of small fiber neuropathy. My neurologist told me she was amazed I still function as well as I do. Glories of being 21 right?! I am just wondering if chiari or a syrinx could cause the nerve damage? I sent all of my info to the Mayfield Chiari Clinic a few days ago and am in contact with Dr. Ringer, and I don’t want to waste any more of his time if the chiari isn’t a problem. I am just feeling extremely overwhelmed at this point, and I have never felt this alone in my life… All help is greatly appreciated, and thank you all for the continuing support.

Joe, I’m sorry you received this news. Getting an answer like this can feel like a blow. I can assure you, though, you are not alone friend. Please, please keep your appointment with the Mayfield group. You need to be evaluated by a competent NS with Chiari experience…and I can think of no better plan than to take this new finding and have the whole enchilada looked at.

Chiari and a syrinx do cause nerve damage. Is it the sole cause of what you have going on? You need to find out starting with a doctor who understands the conditions you already know you have.

Hang in there Joe, I’ll be sending positive thoughts.

Jenn

Thank you both for the informational replies and support. I will definitely keep my appointment with Mayfield. The reason I feared this outcome is because I work, and have worked with a plethora of really nasty chemicals and metals over the course of the last 3 years(that big paycheck isn’t worth it now). Thank you so much for caring.

Keep your appointment with Mayfield. The doctors there are very knowledgeable about Chiari but that is not all they treat so they may be able to help you either way. Dr. Ringer did my surgery and I can't say enough great things about him! He was so patient and really took the time to answer all my questions!