Chiari and Pregnancy Experiences

Hi all,
I am looking to hear how other women who have Chiari have done with pregnancy and delivery of a baby.

I have one child that i delivered vaginally before I knew I had Chiari. (Had an epidural that didn’t work) About 10 months after she was born I began to experience left leg numbness on and off, along occasional with left sided head pain / facial numbness. MRI revealed Chiari, 8mm herniation.

I truthfully am afraid to have another child. My OB said I would have to be seen by a high risk physician before becoming pregnant. I am curious to hear others experiences during pregnancy / delivery whether it was vaginal or c-section. I’m afraid if I have another child my symptoms could become worse. At this point in my life they are very manageable.

I have had 2 children post diagnosis and post surgery. My first child I attempted vaginal delivery but had issues with increased intercranial pressure and we had to do a c section. Because of that I was not a great candidate for a vbac with my second and had a planned c section. During my first pregnancy I saw a reduction in symptoms during pregnancy but not as much with my second. Since giving birth to my second I have had increased issues with dizziness and I am often light headed. I have been seeking additional answers regarding this but not really getting anywhere. When I was pregnant with my first I spoke to my neurosurgeon regarding pregnancy and delivery and he said there is no increase chance of a high risk pregnancy and my ob should proceed with no different strategies. It definitely would not hurt to communicate with a neurologist. There have not been a lot of studies about pregnancy and chiari unfortunately. I will say that most things from individuals I have read is that their experience was not anymore difficult then people without. There are always people who have circumstances that cause complications but generally what I have read has been pretty normal experiences. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions

I had an emergency c-section with first pregnancy, 1982. Had HBP, mini strokes, left side temporary paralysis, vision loss, migraines, developed floaters, preeclampsia and toxemia. They to,d me not to have more children that I could gave a stroke. Second child 9 yrs later, normal delivery. Did have left leg weakness, migraines with vision loss, numbness in the last month. I did not know I had Chairi until 2 1/2 yrs ago. Tina