Can MRI be wrong?

I found out I have Chiari 1 Malformation in September 16 mm. I seen my neurosurgeon in October. He ordered MRI of my cervical and thoracic spine. Both of them showed a syrinx, tumors, herniated discs, and bulging discs. And my Chiari sunk down further and now it is a 17mm in one months time. Anyway I had to redo the MRIs with contrast. The one of my cervical spine found the same things the other ones done. But when they did the thoracic with contrast it did not find anything except for the tumors. I am a little confused. How can all the other MRIs find these things and then I get this one done and it did not find them? It was done only a week after the other one.

J, my thought about the thoracic report…it is generally believed that a syrinx is only one syrinx, whether or not it appears to be two or three separate, upon autopsy they are actually connected. So, maybe the radiologist left the mention of the thoracic syrinx out because it was already discussed in the cervical report?? It should be mentioned in the thoracic report, though, and you can call that radiology department and request a second look, and also request the report be amended. I could be off about the above, but a syrinx does not just disapear. It sounds like you have a lot going on in your spine. So sorry but so glad you are moving forward and getting answers. I am curious, and you certainly do not need to answer this, but wondering if the tumors are hemagiomas. I have hemangiomas in three separate thoracic vertabrae and wondering if others have this too. Do you have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome/ hypermobility.

Jenn :slight_smile:

What are your doctors going to do about your hemagioma?
Rebecca said:

I have one big hemagioma in my thoracic spine.

Yes they are hemangiomas. I have them in T10 and T12. They said in the report that the before mentioned spyrinx is not seen. I really don't understand. I had a panic attack in the MRI machine during this last MRI and they did not stop the MRI. When I got done I asked him if it affected the results and they said no. I don't see how though cause I was coughing and my whole body moves when I am coughing. I am not sure what Ehlers Danlos Syndrome/ hypermobility is. I have only talked to nuerosurgeon once so far I go Tuesday to find out what is going on.
jcdemar said:

J, my thought about the thoracic report...it is generally believed that a syrinx is only one syrinx, whether or not it appears to be two or three separate, upon autopsy they are actually connected. So, maybe the radiologist left the mention of the thoracic syrinx out because it was already discussed in the cervical report?? It should be mentioned in the thoracic report, though, and you can call that radiology department and request a second look, and also request the report be amended. I could be off about the above, but a syrinx does not just disapear. It sounds like you have a lot going on in your spine. So sorry but so glad you are moving forward and getting answers. I am curious, and you certainly do not need to answer this, but wondering if the tumors are hemagiomas. I have hemangiomas in three separate thoracic vertabrae and wondering if others have this too. Do you have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome/ hypermobility.

Jenn :)

Gees I can see why the confusion. Maybe your NS can give a good explaination.

I sure hope so. I am wondering if I made a good decision about where to get my MRI done at. The neuosurgeon wanted me to go to his hospital to have them done which is 3 hours from me. I talked him into letting me do it at our hospital in my town. I thought all MRI machines were the same. Don't know now. The hospital here made me do the MRI in a mobile unit, a semi trailer outside the hospital. Seems kind of generic to me. What are your doctors going to do about your hemangiomas?
jcdemar said:

Gees I can see why the confusion. Maybe your NS can give a good explaination.

I think your NS will be able to see exactly what is going on when he looks at the images. Now, if he just reads the reports and doesn’t look for himself that would be a red flag - but I doubt that would happen. You could always call the nurse at his office and tell you are worried the study might be degraded with motion …maybe they will look at before your appt???

Jenn