Breathing problems

Is this normal? Recently I’ve been having lot of trouble breathing. I feel as if as much as I try to breath in my lungs aren’t getting enough air, sounds weird but I’m just wondering if this is a symptom of chiari or if I should go to the doctors about it?

I would say both. I also have had breathing problems, and with the little we know of exactly what the extent of Chiari symptoms are, the more we report, the more commonalities we will find.

LN, please phone your doctor about the breathing problems and keep us posted.

Thank you for the replies, I went to my local doctor yesterday and he checked all of the normal things to do with chests and everything was fine so he didn’t really know what to do with me. My breathing has eased today, however it still hurts to breath but I don’t know what to do so I’m just hoping it will go away soon…

My son who is now 5 was born with Chiari and Syrinx. He had his first surgery at 16 mos old and by that time he sounded awful. He sounded like a 50 year old man that had been smoking forever. Chiari causes so many issues. That immediately cleared up after surgery.

I have a problem very similar to this, yet none of my doctors have been able to explain it. I've had it for years and it got worse after my first surgery. It feels like I can't get enough air in or out of my lungs, Ive seen a Pulmonologist (sp) and they can't find anything in my breathing tests that could cause it and X-rays of my diaphragm look normal, ENT also cleared everything. It sounds kind of like I'm gasping for air followed by a sharp exhale, I also have what sounds like a hiccup (but definitely isn't, it doesn't feel like one or anything but makes a similar sound) before an "attack"

does this sound similar to what you have? let me know if you find anything out.

That is exactly what I’m feeling without the hiccup type thing, I have just been prescribed a pulmocort inhaler because I used to have asthma so I’m going to see how that goes. The doctor could not find anything wrong with me when doing all the checks and told me to go have an x-Ray. I’ll let you know if the inhaler helps or if they find anything on my x-Ray

mrsNewcombe said:

I have a problem very similar to this, yet none of my doctors have been able to explain it. I’ve had it for years and it got worse after my first surgery. It feels like I can’t get enough air in or out of my lungs, Ive seen a Pulmonologist (sp) and they can’t find anything in my breathing tests that could cause it and X-rays of my diaphragm look normal, ENT also cleared everything. It sounds kind of like I’m gasping for air followed by a sharp exhale, I also have what sounds like a hiccup (but definitely isn’t, it doesn’t feel like one or anything but makes a similar sound) before an “attack”

does this sound similar to what you have? let me know if you find anything out.

Good luck! and thanks! I hope they can get to the bottom of this.