Botox for headache....has anyone tried it? Schedule to do it 10/15...a little scared

Good morning everyone, I hope today finds you as well as can be:)

I've been feeling awful lately between the Chiari and arthritis I'm just really hurting alot. Every fall when the weather changes, my body just hurts. I have alot of medication allergies and can only tolerate tylenol which does not help much. My NL asked me if I wanted to try the Botox because I've been allergic to all of the med's I've tried to help with the headaches. I'm just wondering if anyone has had it and if it helped. Right now I feel like I've been run over by a mac truck and would be willing to try anything to feel better.

I've been trying hard to be positive and am just having a struggle with all of my health problems, Chiari and a host of other related and non-related physical problems.

I am also a stress eater and have gained about 12 pounds since my diagnosis, between stress and worry I am really having a hard time. I put on a brave front for my family and friends in hope that if I fake it, I'll make it and feel better. I do have random good days, and try to appreciate and enjoy them and I am grateful for all of the Blessing I do have.

Thanks for any info and wishing you a "feel good" day today!

Aveet:)

hI..

I HAVE NEVER HAD IT DONE BUT I HAVE READ OTHERS HAVE HAD GREAT RESULTS FROM IT.....KEEP US POSTED.....GOOD LUCK!!!!!

I have never tried it before either. I am wondering about it though. Don't be nervous, what can it hurt?! Right?

My sister in law has intractable migraines and the Botox worked for her. She was also on Topamax though. If there was Botox left over the doctor got rid of her crow’s feet too :). She said it was soooo worth it. Good luck!

Aveet,

I have never had it done but I have spoken to two people who have and have Chiari and they both said it really helped. One said it took her awhile (10 days) to recover from the proceedure and then after that her headaches went from 5 a week to 1. I didn't get as much detail from the other woman (it was over Twitter) but she also said it helped. I hope it gives you some relief if you decide to do it. I've always been interested in having it done because I have so much face and jaw pain.

Wendy

I have had botox injections for head and neck pain. They will not relieve all of the Chiari symptoms but they do help with my head and neck pain and that is a step in the right direction.

I am also a stress eater and have packed on the pounds and I understand your trying to put on a brave face for your family and friends. But, you need to be able to say today is not a good day and let your family and friends help you cope. There is no shame in asking for help or support.

Wishing you the best.

Debra

Good Morning,

Just wanted to stop in and say thanks for your responses and advice. I am going to try it and hope it helps. I"ll check in and let you know how it's going. I'm sorry I haven't been "here" so much the past few weeks. I've just been feeling alot of pain, emotions and just trying to get myself together. It's hard to be on the laptop when I'm feeling bad, it makes me so dizzy and makes my head ache even more. I do keep you all in my thoughts and prayers and hope to be feeling up to being here more after the botox. We'll see:)

Aveet:)

DJ said:

I have had botox injections for head and neck pain. They will not relieve all of the Chiari symptoms but they do help with my head and neck pain and that is a step in the right direction.

I am also a stress eater and have packed on the pounds and I understand your trying to put on a brave face for your family and friends. But, you need to be able to say today is not a good day and let your family and friends help you cope. There is no shame in asking for help or support.

Wishing you the best.

Debra

I tried the botox treatment for awhile. It was a rollercoaster ride for me. My treatments were 3 months apart; I would only get about 5-6 weeks of minor relief. The time before and after those weeks was hell, that’s when I would get the worst migraines.

Hi,

I am scared too but I go on 10/08/12 to have my injections, I will let you know how it goes. Oh, I am on several meds one of which is Topamax-

Destini

Hi Aveet, just wanted to throw out there that I had Botox done in January of this year and unfortunately had a horrible reaction to it. My understanding is that my reaction was somewhat rare, but to be safe I would ask your doctor how he plans to help you (pain medication?) if you should have a similar bad reaction. My reaction included 24/7 severe neck pain for about 3 months, and partial paralysis of my neck muscles, to the point where I struggled to hold my head up for about a month. I think I could have dealt with this if I had been prepared for this kind of reaction, but I just wasn’t. When my doctor finally realized what was happening, I was given pain medication. The injections had no effect on my headaches.

All that being said, I have heard more positive stories than experiences like mine. Best of luck to you!