Bone removal only for surgery?

My Ns wants to do bone removal only for my surgery. He days it’s alot less risky and alot easier with the same results for many. have you had just bone removal if so how did it work?

Are you talking about bone surgery only vs bone surgery and opening the dura? If so, before my son had surgery I thought about this long and hard. Initially I was against opening the dura, but after I did research as to the pros and cons, as well as talked to the neurosurgeon about his track record with complications from opening the dura (the neurosurgeon never had any of his patients end up with complications), I opted for doing both as I found that there was a higher possibility of repeat surgery when the dura was not opened. Of course, I am talking about a child's surgery in terms of healing, etc. If I were you, I would do some research and then ask you neuro what his experience has been with opening the dura. My neuro was very confident and had many years of experience with the procedure. But of course, every case in the chiari world is unique to the individual. 'Hope this helps and good luck! BTW, over a year post-op and my son is symptom-free, knock on wood!

My sons situation is a little different he had decompression surgery and they had to go into the dura which he now has a duraplast patch! We are almost 4 years post op and up until 6 months ago we were completely symptom free now the patch is leaking which has caused increased CSF pressure and his left optic nerve is engorged we will be heading to Children’s in Dallas this week to discuss repeat surgery! Which is going to be extremely stressful due to the fact that I am 3 weeks post op myself from decompression surgery with a syrinx!

Tamkay,

I am so sorry to hear about your son's situation. How old was he when he had the surgery? This is what is so unsettling about chiari -- you can't predict the outcome and you can never really release the worry. I hope his second surgery remedies the problem. I can't imagine how he must be feeling, and you as well.

Tamkay said:

My sons situation is a little different he had decompression surgery and they had to go into the dura which he now has a duraplast patch! We are almost 4 years post op and up until 6 months ago we were completely symptom free now the patch is leaking which has caused increased CSF pressure and his left optic nerve is engorged we will be heading to Children's in Dallas this week to discuss repeat surgery! Which is going to be extremely stressful due to the fact that I am 3 weeks post op myself from decompression surgery with a syrinx!