A few questions before surgery

While I am waiting for my surgery date to be set I feel like I have a lot of things I need to get done and no energy to do them. My house is in disarray from trying to work full time and deal with fatigue and pain.

So other than deep cleaning the house does anyone have tips on things I should be doing to prepare while I have this window of time?

The past year I've been pretty unactive because I have chronic mono (which I think stems from the exhaustion and stress chiari causes) so I'm not in the best shape. Should I try to get more exercise in while I wait? Will it help my recovery if I'm more active?

Anything I should consider purchasing to make things easier when I get home? I'm thinking a lot of paper plates and plastic cups because my husband is horrible with dishes!

Will I be able to pull clothes over my head or will button-up things be better?

My big question is about pets...I have a dog and a cat who are very spoiled and get in bed (the cat seriously likes to be spooned at night). My husband pointed out that post-op having a cat who could have litter on her feet jump in the bed is probably a bad idea and an infection risk. Not to mention they could cause pain jumping around on the bed. Has anyone dealt with pets in the aftercare process? Any tips?

I would advise to keep the pets off the bed, at least for me any disturbances, bumps ect were horrific for the first 2-3 weeks, stairs were hard, lots of light headedness and nausea.

Find a comfortable pillow, getting comfortable for the first couple weeks in bed was hard, i tried temperpedic pillows ect. Having a travel neck pillow helped later on into my recovery as well as a long pillow i could change the shapes was helpful. (I believe there is such a thing as a Chiari pillow too?? )

I didn't do button ups but looser fitting with wider necks so it wasnt AS hard.

Hot packs/cold packs - my neck muscles were so sore for weeks after, even though physical therapy helped coming home and having heat was wonderful. At the time we did have a hot tub so the hot water (after i was mostly healed except for the muscle soreness) was also a huge help!

Thanks guys!

One more question...how long do you have to wait after surgery to have your hair colored? I'd say I'll be afraid to go for weeks after it's deemed safe for fear of pain!

Thanks Emmaline! Wouldn't you know I just got my hair highlighted! I've been looking for a good stylist for years, found one and now this! lol! Hopefully it won't be too bad looking. Once I know when it is I may see if she can squeeze me in for a touch up and that should do me 6 weeks. Then we'll see where I am healing wise.

Still waiting for the call with a surgery date...the wait is killing me!