6 Months Post-Op & Symptoms Seem To Be Returning

So I had the decompression surgery on Sept. 9, 2013. Everything went great, according to my NS. I went home 3 day post-op. One month post-op, I was doing all my normal activities, except driving. I waited until my 6-wk checkup to get cleared to drive.

I am now 6 months post-op......and I feel the fatigue returning, the headaches returning, and I've started waking up to both hands being asleep just like before....

I have an appointment with my NS for Tuesday, March 4th. Please say a prayer that something else is going on that can be fixed with medication......not another surgery.....

Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way, Texasmom1977! Keep us posted.

My thoughts are with you as well!

I know how frustrating and scary it can be!

Please keep us up to date!

Hugs to you!

Texas, I will say some prayers. I’m so sorry you are having symptoms again. Are you hypermobile? EDS?

Jenn

What happened? Keep us posted :slight_smile:

I went yesterday to my NS. He said he thinks I may still have some brain swelling. He prescribed me a steroid and has ordered another Cervical MRI, but not until April 2nd! Ugh…I hate to wait!!

Hoping all will be ok with you......

I had decompression surgery Nov. 25, 2014 and am waking up with my hands asleep too.

Not sleeping too good. Do you take any meds for that?

Please let me know what you find out.

Hugs to you

I don’t really know anything about either one of those…as far as I know, I just have Chiari Malformation Type 1…

jcdemar said:

Texas, I will say some prayers. I’m so sorry you are having symptoms again. Are you hypermobile? EDS?

Jenn

After reading on both websites, I find that I don’t really have the symptoms of either one! I have always been healthy. I’ve never had any blood pressure problems or any issues with joint dislocation, or my heart racing. Idk…my NS thinks I may still have some internal swelling that could be causing my symptoms. We’ll see after my MRI in April! Thanks for the links, though!

Thanks! As far as taking something for sleeping…since I didn’t take any pain medication after my surgery, I would just take a Tyleenol PM. Those seemed to telax me enough to where I could sleep a few hours at a time. If you’re taking pain meds, though, you don’t want to mix them!

lisaree said:

Hoping all will be ok with you…

I had decompression surgery Nov. 25, 2014 and am waking up with my hands asleep too.

Not sleeping too good. Do you take any meds for that?

Please let me know what you find out.

Hugs to you

Sorry it's been so long since my last update! My MRI revealed that my decompression surgery did increase the flow of my CSF. My symptoms are a combination of internal brain swelling and permanent nerve damage, so it's just a waiting game. Thanks for all of y'all's support and advice!

Like you, my surgeon also sites inflammation as the cause of my symptoms returning. I am 8 months post op. How long does your surgeon anticipate you will continue to have inflammation?

Did others of you out there have the same problem?

Hi, I go back to my NS in October, so we will check it again at that time. He said the time frame is different for everyone. It just depends how your body heals.

sleepy said:

Like you, my surgeon also sites inflammation as the cause of my symptoms returning. I am 8 months post op. How long does your surgeon anticipate you will continue to have inflammation?

Did others of you out there have the same problem?

Interesting, my headaches and fatigue are starting to return and I am just past the 6 month post op mark. I am in contact with my NS in hopes of discovering the cause. It seems strange to me that I could laugh and cough without a headache a few months after surgery and now I can't.

I will be interested to hear what your NS thinks the problem is. Keep us posted!

Hayley