5 Weeks post-op and weird pains. any thoughts?

I Had my decompression surgery about 5 weeks ago, Everything was going well and smooth and I was healing fast and was even back to work 3 weeks later, (Where I work with special needs children that are in foster care, along with their families and caregivers, my job requires a lot of travel, heavy lifting and long days), but now I have been having these weird pains and headaches. They are not normal Chiari headaches like I was getting before my surgery, they are sharp pains that turn into throbbing headaches at the top and sides of my head, and my neck feels tight. After the pain became to much, I called my surgeons office, where they told me to go to the emergency room, after a MRI and blood work, they said everything looked good and fine on the MRI and there was no sign of infection. They gave me morphine (that did not do anything) and sent me to my Neurosurgeon, where he said everything looked well and gave me more pain meds and a prescription for Valium (which helps). But I'm still feeling these weird, sharp pains at the top of my head, and feeling that i can best described as a rush, like when you stand up too fast. These "rushes" happen when i turn my head, stand up, get out of a car, and even walking around. I have a feeling I did too much too quickly and did not give myself enough time to heal and rest. I'm curios though if anyone has experienced issues like these after surgery and if any one has any thoughts or suggestions????

I haven’t had surgery yet, so I can only share what I’ve read or heard from other people. It sounds to me like you’re doing too much. You are only 5 weeks out from surgery and it’s still very early in the recovery process. You really shouldn’t be doing any heavy lifting:( Your body needs time to heal. Is your work able to accomodate you? Hopefully, someone else can chime in with more personal experience. I hope you feel better soon!

Thank you! :) I should have added to my discussion though that I haven't gone back to work full time yet, only about 10hrs, and haven't been doing heavy lifting yet. My Surgeon, WHO IS AMAZING!!!!!, actually told me that I could go back to work as early as 2 weeks after surgery (but go back easy). I was feeling really well before these pains had started. But I think that is what it is, IM DOING TOO MUCH lol :)

Crystal said:

I haven't had surgery yet, so I can only share what I've read or heard from other people. It sounds to me like you're doing too much. You are only 5 weeks out from surgery and it's still very early in the recovery process. You really shouldn't be doing any heavy lifting:( Your body needs time to heal. Is your work able to accomodate you? Hopefully, someone else can chime in with more personal experience. I hope you feel better soon!

From my experience, those "rushes" are cerebral pressure. The csf flow needs to adjust to your new space from decompression. This process takes a long time to adjust. You're healing and you are soooo early in your recovery. Personally speaking, I think you went back to work and little too soon. I'm glad you were feeling great, that's wonderful, but remember you had brain surgery. You need to take it slower, rest and listen to your body. As you can see, it talks to us when we feel terrible.

Take it slower sweetie!!

Christine :)

Thanks for the answers, as I'm 3 and 1/2 weeks post-op and I'm having the pressures when I turn my head and the head rushes when I stand up. I was afraid that I had brain slump whatever that is. My recovery is so slow and I was really frustrated yesterday. I was a healthy active person until the Chiari misery hit me like a sludge hammer just over a year ago. I couldn't even fathom going back to work right now. I feel better knowing that is what others are/and have felt after surgery.

I don't know what I would do without all of your support and empathy.

Thanks,

Mary

I have these headaches daily. Valium is actually a muscle relaxer, but helps with anxiety & stress also. I am so sorry you are having to deal with these headaches. Are you dizzy when you get the rushes? I get dizzy when I stand or sit up too fast or am in the shower. Unfortunetly I haven't found anything that will stop the rushes. I do take Fioricet & Amitriptyline(at night) they help my headaches immensly.

Tracy Z.