3 days til surgery

Surgery on Thursday & my anxiety is at an all time high. Trying to keep calm but it just isn't working. Stomach is in constant knots. I can barely eat & sleep is just not happening. I will be glad when this is over. I was watching the history channel yesterday & a commerical came on about gadgets that changed our lives. They were talking about the chainsaw & said that it was actually based on a design by a surgeon who needed something better to cut through skulls while doing brain surgery. That was just the mental picture I needed right now. Now I keep my NS starting up a chainsaw in the OR. UGH!

I think it would be pretty hard not to be anxious before surgery so there is no use telling you not worry, it's human nature! Just remember you will be in good hands! My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Im not sure there is anything anyone can tell you right now that will help the time pass any quicker- I was up the morning of our daughters surgery at 3am mopping my floors. Please know we are all with you and sending you lots of positive thoughts, prayers and love! xoxoxooxo

You’re having surgery for a good reason…try and focus on that! How could anyone NOT feel anxious? Be confident that you’ll be fine!
Take care, JoAnne

You’re having surgery for a good reason…try and focus on that! How could anyone NOT feel anxious? Be confident that you’ll be fine!
Take care, JoAnne

Good luck with your surgery you are in my prayers

Becki,

The surgery will help you. Of course you're having trouble sleeping. You will get to Thursday, and then all you need to do is concentrate on recovering. I just last week watched my son go through and recover from a similar surgery (to drain a cyst right where you and I have Chiari). Every day he wakes up feeling better. Really. Every day. It was only five days ago, and he's already home, sitting up reading, walking around with confidence. Now, he is a disgustingly healthy fifteen-year-old athlete, so those of us who are merely human might have a wee bit more trouble, but ...

It can be done. You will get better. Every day. Better, not worse. Better.

Debbie

Hi Becki,

I was the exact same as u before my op i was a nervous wreak, but do u know wat in 6 months time u'll be a diff person im 6 weeks post op and i dnt regret for a min haven it im getten my life back not all the syptoms go away or the pain but im sooo much better and i hope u'll be the same. My docs below in the or just kept tellin me it will be fine and eventually i started to believe them the mind is a great thing. I dnt know if u believe in god but every nite before i go to bed i ask em to take away my worries nd u wudnt believe how much better u feel. I wish u all the best with op and completely understand wat ur going thru ur not alone xxxxxxxx

Love Caroline

Becki,

You are in my prayers. I don't remember exactly how I was feeling when I had my surgery it was so long ago and I was so bad by the time they did it. I think I was in a daze but I am looking at revision and even though I don't have a date yet I am already nervous. I can't imagine being a few days away. I do remember that friends and family made all the difference during the hospital stay and during recovery.It's helpfull to have someone with you at the hospital as much as possible to help advocate for you and help you with walking, bathroom visits ect.... Pretty soon you'll be on the other side of things and you can get on with your life and get better. It's scary but really hopefull too. Bring lots of pillows for the ride home and I know what you mean about the saw issue. There were alot of jokes around my house after I had mine. My kids thought it was very funny to talk about it.....Gallows humor! Let us know how you are doing and breath.....Wendy