Vanity Question

Has anyone experienced their hair turning green from the anestetic? I was explaining the procedure to some family members over the weekend and someone mentioned asking the Dr. about my hair turning green from the anastesia. Now, I am far from being a vain woman but even I don't want my hair turning unatural colors. I've had my gall bladder out, and two kids and I never heard anything like that. Thoughts?

Kajosmom,

Never heard of such a thing....I've had 21 surgeries and my hair never turned any weird colors. I was also a surgical RN for years and never heard of a patient's hair turning colors (or green) from anesthesia.

I think you'll be fine. Speaking of vanity...my NS was really good with the way he shaved my head...just a strip thin enough and long enough to make the inscision and thats it! I've seen pictures of patients you had the whole back of their heads shaved. My NS always joked that since he was trained in Southern California vanity was ramped and he wouldn't dream of shaving anyone's head more than neccesary!

Good luck!

XOXO Monique

I worked as an LPN for 7 years before my career change and I have NEVER heard of your hair turning green. I have also had 21 surgeries myself with no funky color changes.

However, the anastasia can cause hair loss, dry brittle hair and stunt the regrowth but it doesn't last for long if it does.

Thank you everyone! It didn't sound right to me but it never hurts to ask!

I pray each and everyone one of you has the best day you can today!

Patty

Twitch,

This is a judgement free zone...although it is kinda funny :-D ! What we did to ourselves in the 80's...makes me shudder!

Twitch said:

I've had three surgeries and an angiogram in the last 9 months. No green hair. Wait. My head is shaved. Hold on a sec.

Okay. Just checked in the bathroom. Beard's not green. I got green hair all the time as a teenager, when I went swimming with permed hair (don't judge).

Twitch's replies always make me smile!! I had pink hair in the 80's but never green...and shaved part of my head too now that i think of it! Kids! Now we are worried about getting our heads shaved and our hair turning colors!! Funny how things change!!

Monique

Twitch you BETTER post a pic of your new mohawk!! I like to give one of my Yorkies a mohawk...it fits his personality...loveable but loves to be little pistol!! Last year we went to an 80's party and I had a mohawk (faux-hawk really---didn't shave the sides of my head) and got pulled over by the cops for an illegal u-turn (we were lost) That was intersting! I was slouched down in the car cuz my faux-hawk was so tall I couldn't sit up. Luckily we just got a warning, but it was great to see the cops face when she pulled us over!

Monique

Twitch…you remind me of my hubby…I would love that attitude!

I love that I'm not the only one with serious questions that are totally vain. :) My hair is already short, and I was planning on growing it out, but keeping a current hairstyle if I can at all during the grow-out process. Can you guys give me estimates of how much of your hair was shaved for your surgeries?

Queen Vic,

If you go back and read the beginning post for this question you can see my answer. My doc only shaved a long thin strip of hair..just long enough to make the incision!

:o) Monique

I had my surgery 3 mos ago, one strip of hair shaved only enough for the incision, and no green hair to date - thank God! I would have dyed it if it came down to it, lol! I failed to read the "do not dye your hair for x amount of time... so when my gray roots started to grow out about two mos later, my hubby and I carefully dyed my hair back to black. It was exciting! We are now playing with the idea of a midnight blue since I'm not working...:)

Back in the 70's my older sister used "Sun in" in my hair for the summer. We stayed with relatives for a few months. When I got home my mom decided to dye my hair because my hair was bright blond and my roots were darker. I was in 5th grade at the time. She put the dye on my hair and 20 minutes later I had an ugly army green or kinda pea green hair. To make matters worse, she was broke and the next day was the first day of school. I went to school with a scarf on my head. Back in those days - scarfs were not acceptable and the teacher told me to take it off. I asked her to go outside the room with me and showed her my hair. She let me keep the scarf on and when my mom got paid she fixed my hair... such fond childhood memories.