TIA? OR Just a Chiari issue?

Okay, I know.. SEE A DOCTOR! I'm working on it. I've seen a few but need to find a new neurologist.

I have posted about this before but about every 6 months, to a year ( going on for 2 yrs) I get something that sounds as far as looking up online.. like a TIA. I'll feel totally fine then I'll have a little bit of a headache, vision goes a little blurry, like shiny and my central vision is gone. My right side of my face, tongue, Only fingertips, sometimes hand and toes will go numb. Minutes later I'm fine. Drs have not seemed to concerned when i tell them about it, others say migraines. I'm thinking I am getting TIA's? Maybe chiari is blocking bloodflow? I had an MRI and it said that my blood vessels are fine. Just wondering if any of you experience this and have come to the conclusion that it IS Chiari related. I am trying hard to take time out of work and speak to a DR. Every time I have an appointment I get canceled so this is all being prolonged. Which is completely aggravating! I need things to be figured out, my husband and I want to start a family but not until I figure this all out!. Would like some input from anyone experiencing this familiar issue. THANKS!

Jessie,

I know the feeling that you are going through. I go through it to quite frequently. I was doing some research for my self and came across this interesting fact which may or may not be related to TIA's. It is called Eagle's Syndrome and there are two types classic and vascular. Here is a copy from the wikipedia page concerning vascular eagles syndrome -

In patients with the vascular form of "Eagle syndrome", the elongated styloid process is in contact with the extracranial internal carotid artery. This can cause a compression (while turning the head) or a dissection of the carotid artery causing a transient ischemic event or a stroke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_syndrome is the full address. you may not need to wait for a NL even though I highly recommend following through with one if it is a TIA. I have also started my own discussion with some other members posting some great information other than that I have said here.

I hope it helps and does not cause more worry. Let me know how it goes for you.

Mike

Have you had a cervical MRI? There could be compression that they are not seeing. I get those too but with mine my whole left side form head to toe goes numb. Last time that happened I had a "small seizure". I found out I have dysautonomia. Hope you can get some answers. Hugs.

Hello Jessie.
The reason drs are not concerned is because they cant fix it. All dr have a reputation to think about. If any go around admitting they are clueless, they would get shut down. The medical field is full of people who know they cant help us, and they hide the truth. DRs are only in business to find spreading illness and aids. We dont have cancer we have ( for the most part) brain damage. Nerve damage. My advise- have a child before you get too debilitated. Acupuncture 3 days a week helps my overall issues. Good luck miss. I know how much we suffer with these phantom nerve problems that elevate and decrease. I know stress has a lot to do with the extreme nerve reaction.

Jessie, I’m also kind of in limbo waiting to see before I Start a family too. I had my decompression, which has helped A LOT, but I’m waiting to see if I need another surgery for an instability before my husband I feel comfortable making the decision. I have come to a place of some acceptance with my “new” life, but just want to make sure I’m as good as it gets, so to speak, before we go for it. We just don’t have a lot of time left to pull that trigger! I don’t know how old you are but you look young enough to be able to wait for some answers :slight_smile: lets stay strong for each other.

Jenn

Jessie,

Yes, you need to see a doctor, but I would suggest a cardiologist. Even though blood flow may be ok, the speed of that flow may be getting blocked. I am not a doctor, however I have had several TIA's as well as a stroke. I went from no blockage to 60% in carotid and subclavian arteries in about a month. While I have had surgery to fix the carotid, my cardiologist is keeping a close eye on the sub artery. If your cardio is not monitoring, he should be.

What I notice is like Michael said, moving my head the wrong direction, sleeping in a bad position, standing to quickly and other things.

I do hope you get answers soon. And good luck on the baby front.

DeAnne

Hi Jessie,

I've also had problems like this, but a couple of times I've also had facial drooping on the affected side of my body. It only lasts about 15 minutes. The first time I was sent for an MRI (which had issues) and an ultrasound of my carotid artery, which was fine. What I was told by my neurologist (who I am also trying to find a replacement for) is that it is caused by complex migraines. It is not a classic TIA, caused by cardiovascular problems, but by brain issues. He even told me not to go to the ER if I should have another one. He seems to think it is an annoying and scary, but not life threatening, issue. However, I'm not sure I have complete faith in him.

As far as starting a family goes, you should probably keep looking for that good doctor and get advice. I had my kids before I knew I had chiari, and with intercranial hypertension which I was told was cured, and it turned out it wasn't. My kids are used to a mom with headaches, and sadly, they both also suffer from migraines which started at a relatively early age. It makes me sad to think I might have passed down a life of headaches to my kids. I wish you the best of luck finding a good doctor and getting help with your situation.

Take care, Lynn