Swelling of the face, hands and fingers?

Has anyone else had this?

I have noticed over the last two months that DD continues to have on and off again swelling in her face, hands and fingers. The swelling gets bad enough in her fingers that she has to remove her rings and it is a struggle to get them off. She no longer wears them due to how the swelling seems to sneak up on her and she doesn't want to have to have it cut off.

She has had several blood panels ran and everything came back normal.

I can't seem to find a 'trigger' for the swelling.

Does anyone else have this?

Medical info:

The cerebellar tonsils extend 12 mm below the foramen magum. There is mild to moderately restricted CSF flow anteriorly and moderately restricted flow posteriorly at the the foramen magnum. 7 mm linear area of bright signal in the spinal cord at the C3 level.

Absolutely! I have had surgery and been swelling in hands and feet ever since. I am about to have my rings resized because of it.

Thanks for the reply. DD has not had surgery yet, she is scheduled to have surgery on June 11!

Did you have swelling before surgery? The ped said she doesn't believe that the swelling is due to the Chiari.

Thankful said:

Absolutely! I have had surgery and been swelling in hands and feet ever since. I am about to have my rings resized because of it.

OhMy,

I am so sorry your daughter is having such difficult symptoms. To add your posts together. I totally understand. I have problems with word loss, word salad and say crazy things when I know what I want to say and cannot get those words out. You will even notice I type that way occasionally. It makes me feel less than intelligent. Mine are during headaches and terrifying. I don't stutter though. I do have feet and hand tingling and feet swelling at times. I did request additional assistance from our Members for answers and personal experience regarding these symptoms. A lot of time with Chiari we develop other disorders and illnesses and it is hard to know what symptom goes with what illness. I have been very sick since the beginning of May and am having that problem right now. I pray for you and your daughter and family. I cry for your pain as a Mother with an ill child. Even though your daughter is a teen she is still your baby and I know that must be terrifying. Please let us know how her surgery goes in two days. You are not alone. I promise. We might have different situations but we want to hear how your daughter is doing after surgery because we honestly care. I want the best for everyone. You daughter is young and they have better surgical and long term outcomes. Just know we are here.

Yes!! I have a lot of swelling off and on. I live in Florida so when I am over heated I notice swelling (some times we can not regulate temp very well). I know I swell around my cycle time too and am currently trying to figure out what foods and or additives make me swell. I use a swelling relief tincture that I make with herbs from Bulk Herb Store. The mix is called swelling relief and I make a tea or my preference , tincture. I have noticed swelling and ears feeling full or pressure almost immediately after eating (mostly from fast food or processed foods). Praying for all to go well on the 11th and I hope this was helpful.

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter. I hope all goes well with surgery. I do go through cycles of the swelling and pins and needles. My lower legs and feet get very swollen. For my feet, I try and keep them elevated when I can. Oh my hands become so swollen, even when its cold. My fingers are like sausages at times. I wake up and they are the worst. I just know I can't wear my rings for a few weeks. But because they have meaning to me (wedding ring, grandmothers ring) I wear them as a necklace on a chain. Not sure if your daughter would find that handy. That way she wont have to be without them. The swelling does come and go for me. For some odd reason I find the swelling starts to ease up when I stop using my arms and hands above my shoulders. ??? I stopped drying my hair standing up, trying to wash my hair differently when showering, not reaching up for much of anything. About a week or 2 of keeping a low range of motion there and then the rings go back on the fingers. Its a cycle though. I'm not sure if this is helpful. These posts helped me to know I am not alone and appreciate them :)

Before I knew I even had Chiari I always had problems with especially my hands swelling, I have had decompression surgery and my hands will continue to swell, I'm not sure why this happens, and when I mention it to my Docs they seem to have no idea neither so, I'm beginning to think that it has something to do with nerves. I hope you and your DD can find out what is causing this and re-post your findings...Many Hugs to you!

Like others here, I feel for you since you're a mother. It has to be hard to watch your child suffer through this.

I too have swelling like this and have mentioned it to several doctors and nurses, but they seem to ignore it. When I am swollen, my symptoms seem to be worse, including my thinking process. I can understand the swelling if I've eaten foods with extra salt. Even though I mainly limit my sodium intake, I still have the swelling often.

I have been looking for a natural remedy, but so far I've not found one. Norska, do you know what's in the swelling relief tincture that you make with herbs from the Bulk Herb Store? I order some of my items online.

I'll pray for you and your daughter and the other ones here.

I pray your daughter came through the surgery and is recovering quickly. She is not alone with the swelling issues. My feet, hands and neck swells a lot and seems to be the worst first thing in the morning. I've also noticed that the swelling will build over time and it affects my vision and the glands in my neck, especially below my ears. Then something (have no idea what) will make it start to come down and I'm good for a few days and then the cycle begins again. Weirdest thing! My joints in my fingers and shoulders are also very loose and lock when the swelling is bad?? I wish I knew what was causing this. Oh....I had my surgery in 2009 and had some swelling before but it has gotten worse after.

Hoping your daughter is feeling better soon!

Susan

Yes, I have swelling in the hands, neck and face often. It doesn't really seem to affect my legs, ankles or feet. But I have yet to figure out any dietary intake that would cause it. I am very limited with my sodium intake, and I drink a ton of water every day.

Yes, I have had swelling for several years now and no doctors can figure it out. It started before my surgery and I thought it might of had something to do with the hysterectomy I had a year prior to the swelling. The swelling started in my legs then my hands (my ring size went up on every finger), and now I notice it in my face. Sometimes my eyes are soo swollen it looks as if I have not slept for days. However, right after I had my surgery for Chiari the swelling was gone. It returned about a week after which was a day after I stopped taking the steroids. My primary put me on a small dose of steroids for a while to see if it helped but it didn't do anything. I have been put on a diuretic for a few months and that does nothing. Anyway, I am just dealing with it and it sucks. If you or anyone finds a reason or cure please help us all.