Surgery May 10

So , I’m 4 days post op. I came home yesterday. Feeling better than trying to get comfortable on that hospital bed. The first two days was kind of rough. I get very nauseous from anesthesia. Narcotics have to same effect so I had the stop the Norco only Tylenol and Valuum and them rums so fluids and ( sorry TMI) a lax. After that me only issue was the surgical pain. My recovery at homes been great. Able to walk my drive 1x day and just relaxing :sunglasses:

I will update soon

Oh the pressure headache is gone

1 Like

Hey there Jayjay,
Well, that’s fantastic, congratulations. Long may it last I say.
If you’re finding you can manage OK off of the heavy drugs, that’s great. But finding the right combination for you for that ‘breakthrough pain’ can be a bit ‘hit’n’miss’ sometimes. For me (and by the sounds of it for you too) the side effects of some of those meds can be more difficult to manage than the condition they’re trying to treat.

Now, I say ‘Long may it last’ and I truly hope it does. But you’ve had some major surgery, there maybe some days where you body tells you to slow down. Please listen to your body, don’t ignore those signs. I didn’t listen, I ignored those signs and I pushed on through and the results have not been so good.
Ahhh, don’t do that.

Merl from the Modsupport Team

Will do. I’m channeling my inner lioness and rest 20 hrs a day. I will not rush this process. I will take my successes and remember because those days when it’s not good. There bad. If I’m only 40% I will give 100% of that 40 and let the chips fall where they may. I’m happy they found the correct meds that work for me. I take them as prescribed and will change in about a week. Slowly but surely this will pass. I must say this I rather have this pain than the pain pre surgery :blush:

1 Like

Hi! I’m happy hear things are going well
For you. I have my decompression surgery in a month. I’m wondering what recovery in the hospital is like. Any info you are willing to share would be appreciated. thanks! Katy

Well I would say set up your recovery room at home to something you will be comfortable with looking at.I purchased all types of pillows with different firmness. I brought brand new bedding for freshness. Also bring your own pillows to the hospital because what they offer isn’t good. Know what medications work for you. I already knew opioids would do me wrong so finding the right pain meds was my biggest issue. Take your time to heal properly.

I would say 8 cdays out that being mentally prepared was the most important to my recovery. I have a low tolerance to to pain and let the dr know that.

It’s a scary surgery and being nervous and scared is only human. Speak to a counselor before and after about your fears. Be your own advocate. Your dr should allow you to be part of the plan.

Again do not rush your recovery. There will be ups and downs but don’t rush. Relax as much as you can.

Sorry to make a long story longer. I went to a thrift store brought a a vintage table and tea set with fancy spoons for 30 bucks.

This will be a good time to work on your hobbies. I crochet so that helped me a lot. Relax relax and relax.

1 Like

Thanks for this info. I hope your recovery continues to go well!!

Hey, Jayjay,
So glad to hear your recovery is going well. I am 9 years post-decompression surgery, and remain at 75% total recovery. I’ve met some Chiarians who recovered 100%, and others who didn’t recover at all. And… everything in between! We are all so different. I am very content with my 75% because I was truly months from being dead by the time I had my surgery.
I hope your nausea is better. My neurosurgeon said that he had to remove 1/2 of my C1 vertebrae in the decompression surgery, and that I would feel nausea for perhaps a month or more - because my tongue was now bumping up against my esophagus when talking and eating - and that was creating nausea. With time it would go away. And, it did. My neurosurgeon pretty much did nothing but Chiari decompression surgeries, and he was tough. I was only given 24 hours in the hospital and then sent right home. He told me to dive into activities without hesitation - except for no jarring activities like jogging. Of course, I couldn’t. Recovery was SO slow, and it was like a roller coaster. I would have several days not feeling any better at all - and then a couple hours of complete normal. Then I’d plummet back into misery for another couple days. Eventually, the couple hours of normal pain-free life increased and the miserable hours decreased. But, it took years. After 2-3 years, I now get 3 very good normal days, and then one full day where all my Chiari symptoms put me back into bed for 24-36 hours. It has become a regular pattern for the past 6 years - so much so that I’ve been able to map out calendars years in advance as to what days my “Chiari crash” will occur. I’m assuming it’s because the brain stem is what got the squish from the Chiaris, and the brain stem is what contains your body’s biorhythm clocks. I guess.
Well, enjoy your recovery!

1 Like

Thanks for all the information. Yes those roller coasters days are hard but I rather be home in my comfortable bed surrounded by many pillows :smiley:. There are some days I think to myself why did I do this surgery because it seems worse but in those good days I remember why. I understand that this is going to be a long process and I count my blessing because I’m already retired and my financial situation isn’t impacted. My 2 boys are older 1 college the other going into high school.

I believe being mentality prepared will help the process. I told my family the recovery time is a year so leave me alone. No I can’t help no one do anything.

I try to stay active as much as I can. I have the kids to the laundry and I fold them while sitting on the sofa for some exercise. I’m going to take each day as it comes l

1 Like