School and Chiari

My name is Laura and I am still pretty new around here but I was in college before I got diagnosed and everything got so bad that I couldnt go anymore. I was just wondering if there were any members who are in the same boat as me, or are currently going to school and how you are doing it, like what types of treatments did you go through, and is it harder now being in school. I just wanted to have an open spot where all of us students can talk about what our experiences are and share our feelings on it. Like right now for me I was halfway through college and now I feel like my whole life has been put on hold until further notice lol

I am currently (back) in college for my second semester. I was decompressed about a month before my winter break last semester. I am not gonna lie, it has been difficult, but I get through it. The hardest part for me was finishing a months worth of work in a week just so I didn't have to worry about it when I was healing and didn't want to withdraw when I was almost done with the semester. I have some issues with my legs and sitting too long tends to make it worse, but I deal with it. I have decided that I am not going to let this ruin my life completely, and keep me away from having the future that I want. Good luck to you!

Laura,

When I was in school most of the time I was asymptomatic (and undiagnosed) with the exception of light sensitivity and constant ringing in my ears. Work with your professors, most of them will work with you especially if you can show them information on CM so they can educate them selves. I always bugged mine at their ofice hours for whatever they could do and asked for peer tutoring sessions if they could suggest someone.

It will be challenging and I wish you the best of luck with your journey and your studies. I just ask please do not give up on your studies.

I am right there with you. My symptoms were bad, but the got progressivly worse in a very short time. I was in my last quarter before I graduated and up until the last quarter I had a 4.0 GPA. I didn’t know what was happening, but my ability to retain the information was suddenly gone and I couldn’t look at the computer for very long due to my headache and vision problems. I was half-way through the quarter when I ended up in the hospital and finally discovered the chiari. This was in June 2011. I have decided to wait until we are done with surgery again (if I choose it) before I go back and get my degree. It has been very frustrating and disapointing for me, but I know my problems existed for a reason.

Anyway, I think having a student discussion is a great idea! =)
Heather

Hi!! and a HUGE WELCOME.....

Sorry you are going through all this.

I too, think having a student discussion is a great idea...do it!!!!! You can add it as a Group.

Peace,

Lori