New to the Diagnosis

hey everyone ... hope everyone is doing well... i have just recently been diagnosis and i am going to a NS tomorrow for a second opinion. the first neurologist that i saw basically told me that this is something i am just born with and that i needed to be de-toxiced from pain meds. i am very nervous about going tomorrow, i fear this Dr will tell me the same thing. I honestly am tired of being in so much pain. Can anyone shed some light or encouragement on my situation?
Thank you
God Bless
Melissa

First off I'm glad to hear that you're getting this taken care of, and getting a second opinion. I agree with razzle though, i feel like a neurologist is not really useful in a chiari case. I leared a lot more from my NS then i did from the neurologist, but thats just me. i too had to go through the detox from pain meds, and i can say that im talking a lot less fewer pills. before i was taking like about 3 at time atleast 2 or 3 times a day, and now i take 2 once a day, and i'm hoping pretty soon im completly off of them. i understand your fear, because i just found in june that i had chiari and had my surgery in july. All i can say is don't be scared, there really is nothing to be scared of. Depending on how bad your symtoms are the doctor will either prescribe medication and moniter you, or just tell you that you need surgery. Which is what happened to me. I can honestly say that i'm glad i had the surgery because im doing a lot better post surgery then i was before having it. It's very easy to get scared in a situation like this, but just go in there with an open mind, and really listen to everything he's telling you. If you have any questions ask them, if you feel like they are stupid questions you should still ask them, It's better to know everything, then to do the research yourself and not be sure of the results you get. You always have us here to talk to, and to help you through the whole process. Let us know how it goes with the NS!! Good Luck!!

ok folks… well today went better then my first neurological appointment… my NS has ordered a CINE MRI so now i guess we wait for that and the results… my surg was telling me this is a very hard surgery post-op… anyone got any insight on that?
thanks for everything so far…

Post op is much harder then the surgery itself. I had a very very difficult time dealing with the surgery post op. I agree with emmaline though, its definetly worth it. Recovery in any surgery is difficult, but as long as you listen to what your NS tells you, take your medication, you'll be fine. Everyone does heal differently, it took me about 3 months to really feel better and go back to work. If you do end up having the surgery, try not to scare yourself, because i did that a lot. And if you do have a difficult time with the surgery you can always just talk to us here and I'm sure that everyone would be more then happy to help you along the way.