New here!

Hi all,

I’m Cherie, 37 and live in the UK. Just looking for some advice/info please.
I’ve been suffering awful constant headaches now for 2 and a half weeks. My gp referred me to hospital last week and after a CT scan they diagnosed chiari malformation type 1. I work in a hospital in the radiology department and one of the consultants is not convinced.
I was hoping that if I tell you my symptoms you lovely lot would be able to tell me if it sounds like what I have or now please?

Started on 16th March had an awful pounding/throbbing headache come on suddenly. I described it as a hangover type headache, nausea, buzzing in my ears, feels like my head is swimming and obviously the awful headache. I still have it now and all I have been told is keep taking painkillers.
So my question is does this sound typical of chiari or not? If it does,how long with this feeling last?
Thanks In advance, Cherie x

What's usually described as a "typical" Chiari type headache seems to emanate from the back of the head/neck. You may also have head pain that worsens with strain like coughing, sneezing, using the bathroom. My headaches prior to surgery were a bit atypical as they usually set in behind the eyes and felt like tons of pressure in my head. Like a sinus headache.

I would look into getting a CINE MRI to see if your spinal fluid is flowing freely. I would try to get a referral to a neurosurgeon familiar with Chiari. A lot of doctors have very poor knowledge about Chiari and like to note it as being an incidental finding when it's in fact having an impact.

Thanks for the reply, I’m just trying to work out if it is what I have x x x