My malformation extends 6mm...what's yours?

I am just curious if anyone is having symptoms or has had surgery for a 6mm?

Mine is 8 mm. Surgery is nov 14th.

hello, my daughters was a 6 mm.she had every symptom ever listed plus more.she has had the surgery 2 times for the problems.but from all the research ive done, its not the size that matters, it the problems that occur.we have a 7 year old cousin in our family that has a 9mm herniation and he has no problems at all.his was an accidental finding after an injury he had.the dr did diagnose him, but they are just aware of it.nothing has been done, and hopefully he will never have any problems.hope this helps

Hi...

My herniation based on the MRI's showed a 5mm..once 'in' the NS said it was a bit larger and more 'crowded ' in there.

I had surgery 3 yrs ago.

Keep us posted.

Lori

PS: Amanda brought up a HUGE point here..the size doesn't matter..that is considered 'old school' thinking..

I will let you know tonight, lol I find out today…

In My Prayers, T!!!!

Lori

I am having surgery in 4 days for a 10 mm. I have had sever headachs most of my life and a lot of other symptoms!

9.5mm herniation. I had surgery August 16th and was just released from the surgeon’s care this morning.

wow!!! 10 and 9.5…yikes that sounds so big!!! good luck mom of 5, and congrats peanut!!

Mine was 8mm on one side and 6mm on the other. My csf flow was diminished to none through the foreman magnum. I had surgery 9/20 by Dr Oro in CO. Most of my symptoms are gone and recovery has been smooth.

Blessings!

Diana

the doctors told us that anything under 5 mm is not chiari.my daughters was 6.she has every symptom there is! she had to have the decompression surgery 2 times now. she had no CSF flow at all.but was still labeled as border line.

7 mm. So far the neurosurgeon is not inclined to do surgery. Does anyone get vertigo?

Hey Patty! I used to have terrible vertigo before my decompression, but I am all better now.

Patty said:

7 mm. So far the neurosurgeon is not inclined to do surgery. Does anyone get vertigo?

Wonderful news! Congrats!

mmpeanut said:

9.5mm herniation. I had surgery August 16th and was just released from the surgeon's care this morning.

Patty,

Yes, it is so bad at times I can't walk straight and I get sick in the car. It is hard to watch other things moving, I end up with awful headaches.

Patty said:

Have you spoken to your doctor about a medication you could take…to help with the vertigo and dizziness? I am sorry that I cannot remember the name of the meds they gave me, but I took something that did the trick.

nicolee said:

Patty,

Yes, it is so bad at times I can't walk straight and I get sick in the car. It is hard to watch other things moving, I end up with awful headaches.

Patty said:

Hi Nicolee,

My chiari herniation, believe it or not, is 25mm! I don't know how I went undiagnosed until I was 46 but I did! I don't think the size really matters though, it depends on your symptoms more than anything and whether or not your spinal cord is being compromised. My surgeon thought surgery was best for me because of the possibility of paralysis. I had decompression surgery in April of 2008. I still have problems, but supposedly the threat of paralysis is lessened :)

Carla

The things that were offered make me too sleepy. I just have to handle it at work and for driving. Meclizine is the most common, but I am very sensitive to things causing drowsiness.

My daughters is 13mm she is having surgery on Nov 10th she has a total blockage of fluid at one point, headaches, numbness/tingling in hands and some blurry vision, imbalance. The waiting for the surgery is hard sometimes fear of the unknown is worse then the actual. ~ support and info from everyone is one of the many reasons I am loving this group.

MrsK, I am so glad that I found this group also! All the information and support is amazing. Hang in there. How old is you daughter?