My first decompression surgery less than a week away

I walked the day after surgery. It wasn't bad.

I don't think it's useful to tell our own stories of surgery because everyone is different and some complications that one person has experienced does not mean that you will. Take your own pillow is good advice, hospital ones are hard, talk to your doctor about pain relief before the surgery, don't take any notice of unhelpful nurses who say things like " you can move your head from side to side you know" What do they know, do it when you're ready and rest as much as you can, my story is different to the others and they are all different from each other so do not worry in advance that this will all happen to you, it won't help, you will have your own story, good luck, I hope it all goes well for you

I disagree-I think it is good to hear everybody's experiences because everyone is so different...........it doesn't hurt to hear them so you can be prepared. what happened to one may not have happened to you but could happen to others...........

Hello,my 1st of three was in May 2006 I was kept in semi coma for three days to prevent anything while the reverse pressure and blood in the Spinal Column subsided...So I don't remember too much. The second was at U of M by Dr. Chandler...third was an emergency at U of M seven weeks later because of a tear. With each there is discomfort and the pain meds do help with it. At U of M they also gave me a small coke to help with the headaches...Great to know I still grab one today when I feel a slight headache. The Doctors do all they can to keep the pain down while you heal...Prayers for you during your surgery!!

Hey wonderwoman1006,
I had my decompression surgery exactly 5 years ago to the day (March 29th, 2010). How ironic that this question came into my email box. Anyway, just like when women are pregnant they shouldn’t focus on the bad things that have happened to other people. Although, I think it is good for people to share their stories because it is theirs and theirs alone. The basics are usually the same but that doesn’t mean everyone will respond the same way. Just think positive and don’t harp on the negativity.

So here goes my story,
I found out I had Chiari malformation on November 11, 2007. My symptoms started getting to the point where, my neurologist suggested decompression surgery. So the day of my surgery was like any other surgery day. They gave me the anesthesia and when I awoke it was uncomfortable but nothing like the headaches I was getting before my surgery. A couple hours later my pain increased only because my anesthesia and pain meds we warring off. The day after my surgery my nurse tried to get me to sit up on the bed. The next day it was walk to the door and then it was to walk halfway down the hallway. They just don’t want you to be scared to move and you need to keep up your energy. So, I went home on April 2nd, 2010. I still had about a month of recouping time. Well the doctors told me two months. It is all based on how YOU feel. Don’t allow people to make you feel bad that you can’t do anything for yourself for 2-4 weeks. I have heard a LOT of stories about people having decompression surgery and then a good majority of their symptoms went away or lessened dramatically. That is what happened to me, I rarely have a Chiari headache and all of my other symptoms have lessened. Good luck and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

I am 4 months post-op. I felt very good after surgery. I did develop an infection and am struggling to get over that; however, the days up until the infection were great. Some pain after but it did subside.

I had decompression surgery in 1993. I gained back use of my hands and arms that had come to fatigue with little use. My headaches however became worse & got fibromyalgia

My wife went to Chiari surgery in '08. It took her about 4.5 months to recover. She was impressed before surgery about the need to have SEVERAL word puzzle books which help to "retrain" your brain & thinking process. See credits these with getting her back to being very functional & able again to work.

She has headaches much worse now, and more often. There is reoccurring neck & shoulder pain, but she is about 98% fully recovered. She & I are both thankful for her recovery! Once you get by the first 10 days after surgery, you will enjoy the progress you experience, if your recovery is like hers. The 1st week is obviously the worst, with slow, minimal progress. Best advice I would offer as a care-giver (husband), do what you can, but let others do whatever you can't do initially, work towards progressing, but take enough time to recover at a manageable pace.

Good luck & prayers!!!

Hi, wonderwoman1006.

It’s very kind of others here to share their experiences with you. I wanted to also emphasize that experiences with surgery and post-op are highly individual and yours may vary. You may want to consider also discussing any concerns with your surgeon if you haven’t yet. I have found that for me staying informed in any medical process helps as does trying to focus on enjoyable things and keeping up a positive outlook.

I wish you the best with your surgery.

Please know we’re here for you and will continue to be.

Hugs,

Laurie

Hi my name is Yvette, I had Chiari for 4 years, me personally I don’t want surgery unless I have no choice. I was told there nothing they can do, and it in a delicate area. So I trust God to heal me Will pray for you.

Hi, I can't offer much advice as I have not had surgery at this point. But, I wish you all the best for a successful, symptom-free!! outcome and an easy recovery. I hope you come back to share your experience though and I will be checking in to see how you are doing and how it all went as I may be considering surgery soon. I'm sure everything will be great and that you're up for the road ahead- you are wonder woman after all!!

Best of luck!

Hi, wonderwoman, I just thought to check-in to see how are you doing. I hope all went well with surgery.

Hugs,
Laurie