Miserable Eye Issues

A few weeks ago, I started having a strong sensitivity to light which resulted in me being unable to keep my eyes open at all. The first "attack" happened while I was driving. I was at first treated for an infection which helped with the sensitivity but did nothing for the other symptoms (blurred vision, irritation). I saw a second doctor who told me that I had swollen corneas and gave me a steroid to use for two weeks. The light sensitivity went away and so did the irritation. The blurred vision remains to this very moment. Even with a fresh pair of contacts, my vision fuzzes in and out. It's hard to see the TV and near impossible to read. I am terrified to drive. Is this something others have had issues with?

Yes. My eye troubles were the biggest thing that drove my investigation to find out what was wrong with me. I saw numerous optometrists and a neuro-opthomologist who had nothing to say. I then saw a vision therapist. My vision continues to worsen in spite of all the exercises I was doing and she told me to get an MRI/further investigation as something more dire was going on. The Chiari diagnosis came of that investigation. As you say, reading, TV, church attendance became nigh on impossible and I was scared to drive.

Surgery greatly improved my vision. I still did vision therapy afterwards and saw a optometrist who specializes in developmental vision problems. I have "the eyes of a fighter pilot" according to my last eye test. It is just my brain that is having troubles.

Nowadays, I have slight vision troubles when I get tired. My understanding is that Chiari (from compression of the vertebral arteries in the spinal canal by the cerebellum) affects the brain's PROCESSING of visual information. Sounds like you had a double whammy of infection which may have stressed the visual processing centers to the point where they are having troubles functioning. My visual troubles started when I banged my head on the centralvac canister.

I am also working hard on maximizing my brain's functions through a variety of normalizing exercises. They seem a bit daft but seem to be helping.

Again, to answer your question, yes, other people have vision troubles. Seems to be part of the Chiari spectrum. Good luck in finding your solutions and the people in your city to help you.

I appreciate the insight. I feel better knowing that surgery can make it better. These symptoms get more terrifying every day. I am so happy that I found a group that understands me instead of just thinking I am crazy and lazy. Thanks for being there for me!!!

I have vison issues too. I am very light sensitive and have worn sunglasses inside during work because I couldn’t send the light. At times I get bad tunnel vison and have to close my eyes. You are not crazy, but at time you feel like you are because no one really understands. Good luck!