Medical reasons for decompression surgery?

hi all

im just curious on the reasons everyone had surgery,

i was not able to have decompression for three years, and then my last MRI showed fluid compression in the foramen magnum,

the surgeon showed me my MRI and i was shocked,

i know some surgeons will not operate even when there is evidence of chiari malformation.

My surgeon always said he needed to justify being put under the knife, as it was a great risk.

even symtoms alone was not enough,

now for the people that dont know know me, i live in New Zealand is it different in other countries?

it would be great if anyone can answer this question

joelene

My surgeon said that I should have it but that he was comfortable waiting as the risk are great and that it wasn’t a decision to make lightly or hastily. He also advised that I research and get a second opinion. He did say that he felt it wasn’t a choice of if I should have it or not, rather a choice of when. But that I should take into consideration how bad the symptoms are.

I am pretty sure he will do my surgery if/ when I need to have it.

Brain surgery isn’t something to take lightly. As for my case, I suffer with muscle spasms, head aches, and body aches. What sealed the deal for me, was that I had a syrinx. My surgeon told me that he wasn’t one to pressure people into surgery, but I did need it. I want to deal with it before my symptoms progress and before I possibly suffer permanent damage to my central nervous system. I am scheduled for the procedure next month.

Hi Joelene,

My NS based it on my symptoms first and foremost and then the tonsil size itself, depending on the Dr. ranges between 3 and 8mm. He is ready to do it as soon as I am. I have neither a tethered chord or syrinx so the timing of the surgery is in my control for now.

I was told if I had syrinx then it would have had to be done, so at least it sounds as if we are all getting the same advice.

i have an 8mm chiari, and my NS would not look at it for surgery,

but due to pressure in my head all the time and headaches, on admission into hospital to remove a lesion of my spinal cord, ran MRIs and found that i had complete fluid blockage in the foramun magnum so it was out of my hands,

i had the decompression,

i dont have headaches now, so im happy with that, 12 days post op, i dont feel any better overall, but must allow recovery healing,

i had waited 3yrs wait on having decompression, and was excited to having it done, im hpoing it will make me better,

its interesting what the docs say, and reasons,

keep it coming

joelene

thankyou abby, it will just be my luck now, that i get told MS on top of it,

youre so sweet,

Jolene,

I am so happy that your surgery is over. I've been praying for you and wondering how you are getting along. Since they also did the decompression, please be patient with yourself and make sure you are following directions. It takes a long time to recover from this type of surgery, and we tend to over do it when we are moms and busy women. You may not feel the benefits from it for some time yet. It is a great sign that your headaches are gone though:) That's great!

I hope that you continue to feel better and better. Keep us posted!

Love you,

Carla

Dear Joelene...

Glad you are home and recovering...it takes time..don't over do..I am glad your operation is behind you!!!

Love,

Lori

I had decompression surgery in March and after 4 months; I feel like my old self. I have no pressure in my head and all my symptoms are gone. It wasn’t a pleasant procedure or recovery, but it’s so worth.

hi rachel...

im glad you had a fabulous result after surgery;

ive got mmy fingers crossed for that too, it is uncomfable but its managable,

do you know why they did the procedure, was it due to fluid compression?, symptoms, or size?

joelene

carla.

mums god we do it all, even when we shouldnt,

feeling better, so overdoing it, dont sleep well now, i dont sleep during day and having trouble sleeping at night.

i only got the decompression surgery, i dont have spine done, hoping that will settle now,

joelene

For me, I still am not sure what the size of mine is. But my 1st NS did my fusion of c5-c6 and when I was in massive pain after my "recovery" period he did a CT and saw my Chiari...All I was told after that was I had an appt with another NS in Little Rock. Went to that appt and asked all the questions I could think of and was scheduled for surgery. At the time, I had no idea what I needed to ask. I had looked things up on the internet but that can get sooooo confusing and the only person I knew of that had been thru this was my husband's cousin. She breezed right thru her surgery and recovery and is symptom free to this day. I was not that lucky. I know he was capable and he seemed to know what he was talking about, but once I went thru my follow up visit and had my staples removed, he was done with me and sent me off to another neurologist that specializes in migraines.

I am not so lucky as far as being "all better" since my surgery. I am worse now than before. A lot of how you recover does depend on how much damage is already done. And it takes a while to know what is permenant and what will heal and go away.

Good luck and prayers to you!!!

For articles I read there are two camps with arguement to wait and arguement for early intervention. I am trying to find outcome studies that will discuss pros and cons on both.

Patty
joelene hossack said:

i have an 8mm chiari, and my NS would not look at it for surgery,

but due to pressure in my head all the time and headaches, on admission into hospital to remove a lesion of my spinal cord, ran MRIs and found that i had complete fluid blockage in the foramun magnum so it was out of my hands,

i had the decompression,

i dont have headaches now, so im happy with that, 12 days post op, i dont feel any better overall, but must allow recovery healing,

i had waited 3yrs wait on having decompression, and was excited to having it done, im hpoing it will make me better,

its interesting what the docs say, and reasons,

keep it coming

joelene

I had the decompression surgery June 2010. The only major symptom I had was bad headaches. For this reason alone, the NS said he would not recommend surgery. But, I also had a syrinx that almost completely blocked the CSF flow, so the NS wanted to do surgery right away. (I was diagnosed April 28, had surgery June 21.)

stacey,...... i agree it does depend on damage on long term if fluid compression being there,

you might find this article helpful http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2493879/pdf/annrcse01504-0014.pdf

patty..... it can be hard to know the outcome of both, i think it depends on the person, as most of us have the same problems, we also have differeent things happening, same with recovery.

stacy.....i think that when you have a syrinx it becomes dangerous, was yours in you spine or brain?