Laser surgery on Chiari 1

I know this is a crazy question but wanted to ask just in case if anyone out there has heard anything about laser surgery on Chiari 1? Has it happened anywhere? Is research being done on it? I was just in the Czech Republic and a friend told me that his friend has laser surgery on a brain tumor and that it helped tremendously. Thanks and I’m going for decompression surgery with Dr Oro on Sept 3rd and would love prayers. it took me forever to decide to do it & I m praying I can trust God no matter what the outcome. Thanks & God bless all yof u. you are so brave & I learn so much from each of u!

Laser has been available for years.

It is used to vaporize abnormal tissue(e.g. brain tumor, etc).

For Chiari, one might be able to sneak the laser up the foramen magnum and try to vaporize the cerebellar tonsils but, the act of vaporization requires expansion. At the level of the Chiari, that means additional pressure on the brain stem, possibly leading to paralysis(Christopher Reeves' type paralysis, unable to breathe, or move any extremities, at best).

So, I've never heard of anyone in the medical community suggesting that is a good idea(it also wouldn't address any bony issues, so the skull would still need to be addressed).

We are trying to find better answers, just not there yet!

Good luck with your surgery and God bless!

Thanks so much for your explanation Dr. Trumble.

When I was in my 20's I had problems with bone spurs in my heels and went to a doctor in the Czech Republic and they used laser treatment and my bone spurs went away and it was very inexpensive. What a relief it was. I think that because of that whenever I hear of laser treatment it makes me think that it could be the answer.

I appreciate your time and answer as it really clears things up for me.

God bless you,

Joanie

Dr. Trumble said:

Laser has been available for years.

It is used to vaporize abnormal tissue(e.g. brain tumor, etc).

For Chiari, one might be able to sneak the laser up the foramen magnum and try to vaporize the cerebellar tonsils but, the act of vaporization requires expansion. At the level of the Chiari, that means additional pressure on the brain stem, possibly leading to paralysis(Christopher Reeves' type paralysis, unable to breathe, or move any extremities, at best).

So, I've never heard of anyone in the medical community suggesting that is a good idea(it also wouldn't address any bony issues, so the skull would still need to be addressed).

We are trying to find better answers, just not there yet!

Good luck with your surgery and God bless!