Impulsive reactions

Hi all, is it just me, or some of you too? When confronted by "ruthless" marketing of products, when I should just take control and say no, then walk away, I go into lock-down, no emotion, no ability to say yes or no, simply allow a deal to go through even if it is like $1000. I cannot afford to just blow that amount of money, yet I look on as I get swept into it. No excitement, no anger, no emotional reaction other than feeling numb> do not know how to explain it. Just me. Not related to Chiari? Help?

CHiari has a cognitive aspect that is poorly discussed. Concussion literature can describe the impulsivity of chiari well. It helps if you consciously pre-decide that your wallet and your finances are not going to become involved - period. When your cognition is impaired you need to take steps before the confrontation to protect yourself. You know that you have weak areas so set up some good structures.

Thanks gabby jazzypants, I have to work hard at this. I find I sort of shut down and don't show any reaction. Now that I am aware of it, I will work hard at controling and managing it.
gabby jazzypants said:

CHiari has a cognitive aspect that is poorly discussed. Concussion literature can describe the impulsivity of chiari well. It helps if you consciously pre-decide that your wallet and your finances are not going to become involved - period. When your cognition is impaired you need to take steps before the confrontation to protect yourself. You know that you have weak areas so set up some good structures.

How about trying "I'm unable to talk to you about this right now, if you give me your card and I want to follow up with you I'll give you a call" ...... it's simple, assertive and usually surprises them so much that they give you a card or brochure or whatever. If they persist, I just repeat the statement and add at the end or simply say, "I will not discuss this right now". Will not is a very powerful phrase.

The next garbage can you reach is then the receptacle of the card/brochure etc unless (in the unlikely event!) you want to follow up at a time when you're able to deal with it. You have to adapt slightly to telephone marketing but once it becomes a second nature response it will get easier.

Practising in the mirror helps it to trip off your tongue next time.

Just something else which has come to my mind, check out the consumer laws that apply to you in SA as here in the UK we have a cooling off period in which time anything we have signed up to and then changed our minds about can be cancelled.

Tx. Will look into it.

Jules G said:

How about trying "I'm unable to talk to you about this right now, if you give me your card and I want to follow up with you I'll give you a call" ...... it's simple, assertive and usually surprises them so much that they give you a card or brochure or whatever. If they persist, I just repeat the statement and add at the end or simply say, "I will not discuss this right now". Will not is a very powerful phrase.

The next garbage can you reach is then the receptacle of the card/brochure etc unless (in the unlikely event!) you want to follow up at a time when you're able to deal with it. You have to adapt slightly to telephone marketing but once it becomes a second nature response it will get easier.

Practising in the mirror helps it to trip off your tongue next time.

Just something else which has come to my mind, check out the consumer laws that apply to you in SA as here in the UK we have a cooling off period in which time anything we have signed up to and then changed our minds about can be cancelled.