Grinding sound at base of skull

Hello everyone. Im new here. My son was diagnosed with chiari and a syringomyelia. So as a mom I naturally started to look into it. In reading about it I see lots of things that relate to me. I frequently wake up with a headache in the back of my head and right now I have a strange sensation from about mid neck down to the top of my shoulders with a slight headache on the right side of my head. I get numbess and tingling a lot in my arms but it doesn’t last forever and a lot of times my pinky toe and the toe next to it will completely go numb. I have tinnitus a lot. My eyelids will have spasms from time to time. I do notice I have trouble focusing anymore and I’m more forgetful.
None of my symptoms are ongoing. But the strangest thing is the base of my skull. It is continuous. If I nod up and down it sounds like it is grinding and if I move my head to the left and the right I hear it grinding too. Is this indicative of chiari malformation. I am not diagnosed with anything and honestly I don’t feel I am having serious problems so I’m not sure it is worth looking at. Thank you for your time.

1 Like

I am unaware of grinding noises directly from Chiari, but have had that happen to me from a condition related to Chiari, called cranio-cervical instability. Since you are somewhat symptomatic and your son has been diagnosed, you may want to consider an MRI/scan to R/O Chiari and/or any cervical-related issue(s)?

1 Like

Ii have been told that I grind my teeth in my sleep, my personal opinion, is a MouthBrace