Feb 9th 2015

that is the day they found my chiari I was light headed at work. went to the ER and they did a CT scan and that's when they found it. My symptoms have been lightheadedness dizziness passing out tingling in the fingers headaches neck pain back pain sleep apnea depression anxiety mood swings.

sometimes I just don't know what to say or how to say it

136-360086.JPG (72.5 KB)

this is another view

137-mri (78 KB)

Jimmy, so glad you are here. Sorry you are dealing with this disgnosis but glad you are among friends. I thought dysautonomia too, like Abby. There is A LOT to learn about Chiari - there are other conditions that like to tag along. I will attach my normal post for the people are newly diagnosed. Please jump right in on this site these people have a lot to share.

There are common themes that come with Chiari as far as related conditions/ diagnosis. Not trying to overwhelm you with this, just want you to be informed.

Vitamin d deficiency (high daily doses of D3 can help with symptoms)

Magnesium deficiency (non-citrate magnesium daily)

Vitamin Bs deficiencies

Syringomyelia /syrinx- cyst within the spinal cord as a result of CSF hypertension/blocked or partially blocked CSF flow.

Ehlers Danlos syndrome- google the Brighton Critetia and the Beighton Criteria. This can cause cranial cervical instability. CCI further compresses and damages your spinal cord and has the same symptoms as Chiari. This should absolutely be ruled out. If you have EDS and CCI, get the decompression surgery done without correcting the CCI you may continue to have the same symptoms or worsening symptoms- a second surgery will be required. Finding a surgeon who screens for CCI is tough- not all Chiari surgeons have started screening for and treating CCI.

Dysautonomia- Dinet.org (this is a big one for anyone with brainstem issues!)

Tethered cord syndrome

Sleep apnea- dangerous, especially if Cranio cervical instability is involved

I am glad you found us,
Jenn