At least a centimeter

I was told today by my neurosurgeon's associate that my cerebellum slippage is past 1 cm. Is that as bad as it sounds?

Son's is 1.5 or thereabouts and he has very few symptoms. You'll hear that it's not so much the size of the tonsil, but the effect it has. Part of that depends on the "shape" of the tonsil - wide vs. skinny etc. However he is just now hitting puberty and symptoms have just begun to appear....so I suspect that although he was "fine" at 1.5 before, he'll no longer be "fine" in a year or two.

Well, my symptoms are here. I have numbness in my hands and bad headaches and neck aches. I have muscle spasms but the worse thing is the vertigo. From the time I raise my head in the morning until i go to bed, I'm dizzy and sometimes sick to my stomach. I can no longer drive and have lost a lot of independence. The biggest problem is I'm not a good candidate for surgery because I have so many other disabilities. Prayers are needed and I will be getting some tests done so the neurosurgeon can make a decision about surgery. I'm scared but it feels nice to have somewhere I can share those thoughts and fears with people who understand. Thank you!

I apologize, I wasn't saying you don't have symptoms. I guess I was hoping to give you a little less stress by letting you know that the size of the tonsil isn't really the issue - although my son's is larger, he is in better shape and wouldn't be a candidate for surgery at this time. I hope you find a resolution that works for you.

Melissa,

That would be 10mm. It's significant but it depends on your symptoms and how much CSF flow is blocked. A Cine MRI would show the cerebral spinal fluid flow. If you haven't had one you should ask your doctor.

Wendy

Oh please don't apologize! I know you weren't saying I didn't have symptoms. I understood what you're saying and I'm glad your son has had minimal problems and pray it continues to be like that for him. It definitely helped me to feel better, your words, so please know that. I appreciate you reaching out!

Melissa

firefly said:

I apologize, I wasn't saying you don't have symptoms. I guess I was hoping to give you a little less stress by letting you know that the size of the tonsil isn't really the issue - although my son's is larger, he is in better shape and wouldn't be a candidate for surgery at this time. I hope you find a resolution that works for you.

I think I've had a Cine MRI, I'm now getting a cervical spine and brain CT because I got the Cervical spine and neck MRI. From what I could understand with what he said, the CsF flow isn't that bad but I am developing a small syrinx (like a cyst) at the top of my spine (I think that's where it is). He said there is no fluid build up in my brain which is good. But my symptoms lead me to believe my nerves are being seriously compressed and I worry about my heart and my breathing. But I don't want to create problems that don't exist yet. I also wondered if there was a way I could slow down the progression of symptoms or stop the slippage but I guess if there was an answer to that, there'd be a cure for Chiari! I'm praying for it!!!

wendyanne said:

Melissa,

That would be 10mm. It's significant but it depends on your symptoms and how much CSF flow is blocked. A Cine MRI would show the cerebral spinal fluid flow. If you haven't had one you should ask your doctor.

Wendy

I waited 10 months to have surgery. My herniation was 15 mm but I was 100% blocked. Being blocked was the deciding factor for me to have the decompression surgery. Also the pain, it was intense. Everyone's symptoms are different!

I'm dizzy all the time now and the balance issues are unbearable. I feel like I'm on a roller coaster from the time I wake up until I go to sleep! Is there any meds to help that or is that becuase I'm completely blocked? I get my 3 other tests next week but couldn't get in to the NS for another 2 1/2 weeks; the symptoms are horrible though. I don't know what to do!