After decompression

I had my decompression 7 months ago and i still have headaches, and now severe back pain. Doctor did another mri but saw nothing. So im wondering if anyone has experienced this after having the decompression surgery

Hi Rebecca

I had back pain before surgery and again afterwards. Good MRI just like you. Upon further checking, I found out that the nerve coverings in your spine and beyond can become sensitive and irritable with chiari. Symptoms include back pain that drugs do not really address. For myself, I also had hand/arm achiness, hip, and foot and buttock achiness - all worsen with activity. For example - if I played the piano my fingers would ache. If I wore a different shoe my foot and or buttock would ache. If I swivelled my head about, I would get a head ache.

Great! So what to do about it.

I am doing a series of neurodynamic exercises that address leg and arm nerves. I have started with my low back as well.

To date, my hand and foot achiness are negligible (I still do not wear snazzy shoes - hopefully that will come) and I sleep better at night with the back/hip achiness. It is a slow process and I am not up to the neck yet.

Good luck in finding your answers!

Gabby - these neurodynamic exercises you're talking about, where did you learn how to do them? Physiotherapist? If so, how did you find a PT? are they familiar with CM or just nerve pain?

I'm asking because I'm very interested. I'm 6 months post-op and the nerve pain is still bad - this sounds promising.

Hi

Yes, I received the neurodynamic exercises through physical therapy. Typically, physical therapists are not super knowledgeable about Chiari. However, if you can interview therapists on their experience with Neurodynamic/David Butler or NOI classes and that they actually use those techniques in their practice regularly that will be helpful. Therapists who deal with post-surgical clients (brain, spine, brachial plexus, nerve injuries) will be more knowledgeable about the sensitive nature of the nervous system - ie start distally with few repetitions working up to 30 repetitions, no holding. This might not mean anything to you but you should hear this from the therapist.

I would encourage you to seek out references from medical personnel and put forth questions on the phone prior to an appointment - financial it can get costly looking for the right physical therapist. Unfortunately, not all therapists are created equally. If you need manual therapy for your spine, fine, but it should not be a regular thing. A full assessment should clear you of any other physical concerns.

Also, modalities or machines that plug-in are not researched based (ie do not do anything!) and are not always covered by insurance companies for that reason. A physical therapy clinic tend to use them to appear like they are doing something, to pad the treatment time, and to sooth the client. Just say no. You are paying them for their knowledge and expertise.

Good luck in your search. Please do not hesitate to ask. The process is slow but I am getting better and better.