Two weeks postop ACDF surgery and doing well

Hi everyone! It's been 2 weeks and 2 days since my ACDF surgery for two collapsed disks in my neck. I'm finally feeling better today! I only spent one night in the hospital and the staff were all very nice and the food was even good, believe it or not! The next day after surgery and I just got home, my primary physician called and said my vitamin D levels were severely deficient (I had to ask HER to draw my blood and test it because I found on the interent that vitamin D deficiency causes widespread pain in the body and I wanted to just check this off my list of "why I'm in so much pain all the time and everywhere on my body!" but now it's just another diagnosis I have to deal with! She placed me on 100,000 IU a week of Rx vitamin D for 8 weeks then 50,000 IU a week for 6 weeks! After the 2nd pill, I already felt better in the joints of my feet, ankles, knees, and hips! I was so upset when she told me this because this will be the 12th diagnosis I've had in the past 10 years that I diagnosed myself first and then made the doctor check it out to be sure! I guess I should have been a doctor because they sure don't seem to be doing their job, I AM!!!! As long as it's found, and as long as there is treatment for it, and as long as the treatment works, I guess I'll just have to live with it!

Just wanted to let everyone know my anterior cervical diskectomy and fusion surgery, so far, seems to be a good success! My sister had the same surgery, with the same NS, only different disks two months ago so I just keep watching her improve each day and know that in a couple of months, I'll be where she is today and today she is doing well! Still upset over the vitamin D situation but I'll get over it! I've been diagnosed with so many things that cause pain somewhere or everywhere in the body that I don't know what to believe anymore!!

It's really nice to have a place like this where I can vent and no one judges me! People around me just don't understand, as well as they might try, they don't understand that just getting out of bed in the morning is a tremendous ordeal when they can just jump out! My dad is a prime example: he's 78 years old and works 10 hours a day 5-6 days a week, and feels great all the time (thank You Lord)! Now that I have a metal plate with 4 screws in my neck and taking sooooooo much vitamin D, maybe I'll be able to jump out of my bed soon!!! LOL

Thanks everyone! You guys are awesome!!!! God bless you all! :)

hi....

happy to hear you are doing well.....i had 2 fuions myself..and found it to be a quick recovery....don't over-do!!!!!

god bless,

lori

Karen,

Glad your doing so well!!

Love,

Theresa

I had no idea when I posted this that so many people with Chiari also had vitamin D deficiencies too! Wow! I really do think everyone needs to be tested for it. It's really easy and you don't have to fast for it. My sister (who I believe has Chiari but won't check it out) has decided she needs to check her vitamin D levels. Then she decided her daughters needed to as well, so we'll see! My mother and my daughter are also deficient and on therapy AND I believe they both have Chiari too! My mother is 73 and says there is no need to find out now but my daughter is 20 and if she gets any more symptoms than she has now, I'm sure she'll go to the NS. I just wonder what else we all have in common. Some day soon I'll sit down and type out all the diagnoses I've been told I have over the past 20 years and we can all just compare! Sounds like fun to me! Love you guys! :)

Hey Abby, right now the doctor started me out on 100,000 IU a week for 8 weeks, then 50,000 IU for the next 6 weeks. It's a prescription that I have to get at the pharmacy! But I can honestly say after the first pill, my pain was much better than it had been. So I don't know if it's helping the fibromyalgia or the Chiari or both! And after the 6 weeks of 50,000 IU, I don't know what I'll be on then. She said I also have very high cholesterol, so does anyone else have cholesterol problems? LOL

Thanks everyone for the kind comments and well wishes!!!

I agree, I believe every person diagnosed with Chiari, whether they have had the decompression surgery or not, and even those diagnosed with fibromyalgia, should definitely be tested for vitamin D deficiency! It’s so easy to be treated yet causes so much pain when left untreated! It doesn’t have to be a fasting blood test either! So, the next time you’re at the doctor’s office, all you have to do is ask if you can be tested for vitamin D deficiency! That’s what I did and I wished I had done it so much sooner! Maybe there is a connection between that and Chiari, I don’t know. I also have hypothyroidism and if you haven’t had your thyroid tested, maybe you should do that too! I don’t want to overwhelm anyone so I’m going to wait a couple more days and then type out a list of all the diseases/diagnoses that I have been given over the past 20 years and maybe we can compare with each other. It should be interesting to find out just what everyone has in common besides the Chiari! But the vitamin D deficiency was a big one for me; like I said, after the first two pills, I could tell a HUGE difference in my pain level and that’s a good thing!! It’s so easy to get tested so please, everyone, next time you see your doctor, just ask him/her to check your vitamin D level. It just might surprise you like it did me and if it’s low and you get the treatment started, you will be so happy and so will I!! :slight_smile:

Hi everyone!! Sorry I haven't been on here but still recuperating. It's been 6 weeks since my surgery and I'm doing very well! Praise the Lord! I'm really glad I had this done because of all the pain I had in my neck. I'm walking daily now (not overdoing it) and lifting very light weights to try and build up some strength that I have lost over the years because of all the body pain I was having. Believe it or not, my neck doesn't hardly hurt anymore, but my legs and feet sure do! I just walk slowly through the pain and then alternate heat and ice on the legs and feet! It seems like I just can't win for losing!!! But I will not give up! I've been a hermit for the past couple of years and now I'm ready to get out of the house and see what's going on! :) Hope everyone is feeling as well as possible and I hope everyone has a wonderful week!!

One more thing, is everyone else on a lot of different medications like I am????? Now they want to put my on gemfibrozol (spelling??) for bad cholesterol! I said, "Give me a month to try to get the levels down to normal" and they did. I go back in a couple of weeks to see how I've done. I've lost 8 lbs. but I'm not sure that's enough. I really don't want any more pills to take! So, I'm trying to eat healthier (easier said than done) and the walking. Please keep me in your prayers as I really want to start taking less medicine than what they have me on. Thanks everyone!!

hi...

happy your neck is doing better!!!....sorry, don't know a thing about cholesterol meds....

You are in my thoughts and prayers!!! Thanks for your update...keep 'em coming!!!!!

Love,

Lori