Post-Op Motion Sickness

Hi all! I am about 14 months post-op decompression and I have noticed a million changes (so it seems) with my body but the most recent came just this summer when we were out on the lake on our boat. We were parked close to shore, it was a very calm day, little waves barely any wind and we were just having a relaxing day.

It took me about 20 minutes to realize I could not handle the little bounce we were having, I was so nauseous. I have been on boats all my life and it's only been this summer that I have noticed I am all the sudden sea sick. I was fine before I had the decompression surgery and since I couldn't go on the boat last year I didn't think anything of going out this year. But every time we go out I have to take motion sickness medication and even that doesn't help much.

I know the Dr. messed with my brain and my spinal cord and my balance is off now but is this something anyone else has experienced? If so have you been able to get around it somehow? I have noticed I get car sick now too but it's not as bad and no where near as frequent as if we go on the boat. I'm hoping this is one of those things that will go away over time but I'm going to guess not.

Any input anyone has is greatly appreciated :)

Jen,

It may be something that you heal from but maybe not. Many of us experience all kinds of motion, equilibrium and balance issues before and after surgery. I have had wicked motion sickness issues my whole life. Drameine has been a constant companion over the years. I really hate how drowsy it makes me though. I have found relief with those acupressure bands that they sell for sea sickness and with homeopathic remedies. Both have no drug interactions and dont have the side effect of making you drowsy like the medications they sell.

These are great.

http://www.hylands.com/products/hylands-motion-sickness

http://www.kingbio.com/store/product.php?productid=16258

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/sea-band-wristband/ID=prod2662944-product

Have you checked your blood pressure when you feel sick? I bought a wrist BP cuff and I noticed I have fluctuations. Brain surgery also affects you CSF flow. It may be something else to consider.

I haven't had decompression surgery, but my motion sickness is horrible! I get car sick driving for just 10 minutes! A couple weeks ago, my family and I rented a huge houseboat for a week. I was sick the whole time. And it took me about 2 weeks to fully calm down. Dramamine didn't do a thing. I spoke to my doctor about it, and he gave me the patch to try. I'm leaving in the morning for a 2 hour drive and boating all weekend. So we are going to try it and see how it goes. If that doesn't help he mentioned physical therapy. He said there are exercises they can do with you and teach you to help with it. I never heard of it, but I'm willing to try it. I'm hoping the patch helps and I won't need to though! But it is something you could look into. I hope you find something that helps, and I'll check back in and let you know how the patch works for me this weekend! I have to put it on tonight so its in my system for the morning drive. :-)

Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate all the help and insights! :)

Yes, after our son’s 2nd surgery, the dizziness and motion sickness and balance issues either began or were made worse. It made him sad because now he has these issues in addition to pain. The surgery had to be done but it stinks that it didnt take the pain all the way away and it worsened or caused new symptoms. He is almost one year and 8 months post op and when we try to focus on the positive we realize there are more good day and less down right debilitating ones overall but still…