Medicines Used for Chiari

I wondered the same thing myself. My background is in chemistry/pharmacy. I've tried numerous medications myself, but Pot isn't one of them. Maybe I'll consider moving to a state where it's legal :)

Rhonda56 said:

Has anyone ever tried medical marijuana and if so any luck?

A lot of medications that have been around for awhile they are finding work for other symptoms/ā€œproblemsā€. Some that were created for seizures work to help with depression. Of course everyone responds to meds differently. If the reaction you have is worse than the Chiari then maybe that might not be the best choice for you? It sounds like you have a Doctor who cares and to me that is one of the most important things. I too am struggling with why did all these symptoms start and now are worsening. Iā€™m hiding in my bedroom trying to avoid having to take painkillers. I started on Venlfaxine (itā€™s similar to Cymbalra but itā€™s a generic) for chronic pelvic pain which of course was discovered after a hysterectomy. It blocked our my migraines for about three months and then they broke through. Iā€™m now trying amatriptyline to try and block them again and also aware that I will most likely have to switch every three to four months since my migraines seem to always break through. I have found what works best for me is to continually use different meds. Iā€™ve also been told my response to meds is not normal. Of course Iā€™ve always known Iā€™m not normal! ;). It is very frustrating to be on so many meds but if we can block the pain it will be worth it. I also really like webmd to look up medicines and research them a bit.

Jennifer R I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. The loss of a child is something that (I hope I can put this right) Iā€™ve always feared but have not had to bear. What it must be like for you I know words cannot express I will not assume to say I know how you feel but I am and others will be here for you in any way we can.

Like you my symptoms worsened suddenly, maybe and hopefully a change in meds will help? I found that 100mg if generic Demerol, then three hours later two Vicodin with two Excedrin with Advil Migraine or Ibuprofen. Sometimes I have to do that a few times. I used to get about a week with no symptoms. Now I get it back down to the ā€œnormal 5/6ā€ that I live at everyday. Nightly I take klonopin, Zoloft, Venlfaxine, amatriptyline, melatonin, VitD, and prenatals.

On to the pot issue! Yes I know you all canā€™t wait! :wink: I do live in Washington State but have not used it. It was recommended by a teacher, yup a teacher because she has a friend who takes it in pill form for her migraines and gets instant relief. I also have heard from a friend who is a nurse at Childrenā€™s they use it there as well. Me, I just canā€™t get past the irony, recommended by a teacher, married to a cop, and yeah Iā€™m Mormon. Personally every time my friend the teacher recommends it I just crack up! I have discussed it with my PCP and he knows me better than anyone, he didnā€™t seem to think it would be a good idea for me. I do have OCD and an addictive personality so his opinion is very important to me. I hope this helps. As always please let us know if you have any more questions. Also this is my two cents worth, sorry for stealing your phrase! I hope everyone has a wonderful pain free weekend!

Sarah

I currently take Topomax for migraines and Hydrocodone for breakthrough pain. Imitrex pill/injection as last resort. The anti depressants made me feel drugged out and at every dose and different med. They did help w/insomnia, facial numbness. Sorry Jenn for your loss. Praying for youā€¦

I totally understand your confusion as I have just recently been diagnosed myself and still have a lot of question. I have scheduled a appointment with a neurosurgeon that has knowledge in Chiari because I feel like when I went to my neurologist he just gave me a pill (Topamax) and sent me out the door. I am on so many pills that I hope when I go to the NS I can get off of some of them.

I take...

Topamax for headaches

Amitriptyline to help me sleep

Citalopram for depression (I'm not depressed)

Diclofenac for inflammation

Norco for pain (I also have 4 bulging discs)

Tramadol (non narcotic for pain)

even with all these pills I still have days where I get no relief. I feel there has to be a better way.

Sorry I can't help with the Vimpat. However for the MRI being "normal", that is common in a mild case. I have seen this a lot in MRI's. Many conditions that are minimal are called normal. I don't believe the Radiologist that are reading them are looking for minimal problems. All ways make sure you have a neurologist view your MRI with you.

Keep all your records. You never know when you will need it. Good luck.

A doctor also prescribed a med for me which is a seizure med and I called him and told him I'd take my chances with what I have. Diazapam works for me 5mg and I take half a pill if I am going or doing something that might cause me more anxiety. However, I cannot take it daily. It causes panic attacks so I just take them as needed.

Wow Iā€™ve been on so many of these meds and I can answer every question but my own. Patrick the name Chiari is my game. Near 37yrs I had it now. I just had surgery a yr ago. My world hasnā€™t been ok since. My entire world is ringing now and Iā€™m going koo koo 4 coo coo puffs now. Does everyone ring?